advice on New York trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my wife and her 3 sisters are going to New York of SIL's 50th in October, any advice going on whether they should buy attraction/tour tickets here or wait until they go, i'm sure lots of you have been
ta

Sponsored Links
you can't go up the statue of liberty anymore.. the crown has been shut since 9/11 ( or 11/9/2001 as we right minded people write )

Can Wikipedia be believed for it says that the crown was opened again to visitors last July albeit with restrictions.

Except for a period of time between September 11, 2001, and July 4, 2009,[51] the interior of the statue has been open to visitors. Visitors must purchase crown tickets in advance. Once they arrive by ferry, they must check in at the information center, then go to the base for the start of the walk up the monument. The climb to the top is 146 stairs on the double-helix stair case. Inside the copper statue it is approximately 15 to 20 degrees (F) warmer than it is outside. The NPS allows 10 people at a time with 3 groups an hour up into the crown. This provides a view of New York Harbor (the orientation of the statue faces Brooklyn) through 25 windows, the largest approximately 18" (46 cm) in height. The view does not, therefore, include the skyline of Manhattan, except through the smallest windows on the left side of the crown. The wait outside regularly exceeds three hours, excluding the wait for ferries and ferry tickets.

I think it is open again now. You could go to eye level before.

If they do an open top bus tour, I'd say buy one from one of the guys on the street. Cost us about £40 for 4 of the tours if I remember rightly.

Sponsored Links
The SOL can be a bit claustrophobic at the top, nose to tail on the spiral staircase, or it was in 98

We went on a trip round Manhattan on a Circle Line ferry, the guide was very good, breaking into song at appropiate locations

Also Empire State, Rockerfeller centre, Ellis island all the usual sights and more, might be worth checking Madison Square Garden for events

Have been several times. October is good time to go, good weather, but not too hot.

BAR RECOMMENDATION
We always go to a great bar called Rudy's on junction of 44 street and 9th Av.
Locals bar, v. busy, great atmosphere, sensible beer prices and free hot dogs. There's also a great diner on the same crossroads, don't know what its called.

FOOD
Little Italy is great for Italian food. Great atmosphere sitting out on pavement restaurants. Some nice bars, and places for ice cream and dessert.

TOURIST STUFF
Do a Circle Line boat tour. Takes you right around Manhattan Island on a boat. Great way to see city. Also go out to Stat. Of Lib. on a boat and climb up inside statue.
Take the subway to Coney Island to famous theme park. Also walk from Coney along the board walk to Brighton Beach.

So good they named it twice!

Ellis island is very interisting, Half price ticket booth gets long Qs early so be prepared. Rainbow room on 50 something floor of rockerfella centre is a nice bar with fantastic views at night but cost about a tenner a drink. Macey!s far better and cheapr than bloomingdales

dont go,they will be interrogated at the airport like theyre terrorists.

they will need to fill in some form on line at least 3 days before leaving or wont be allowed to even board the plane.this new reg comes into force some time this month (january).they will also still have to fill in the on plane forms.happy holidays.

i wont ever bother going back there but then again i may get arrested so cant risk it,lol.

Looks like a good time to go - the murder rate is the lowest it's been in decades. The Daily Mail says so , so it must be true.

Go up the Empire State building. It only about $20, and you get some fantastic views of the island. Get there nice and early before it gets too busy. About 9am was ok.

If you want to see a show on broadway, go to times square at 2pm on the night you want to go. They sell the tickets off just to fill the theatres with discounts between 25 - 50%.

If your budget will allow it, take a helicoptor tour of the island.

Allow longer than you think to have a wander round central park.

The boat tour is a good way to see some of the sights, especially the statue of liberty and the Brooklyn bridge.

Sponsored Links
Back