Advice on poor standard on electrical work i've had carried out.

Typical part p approved quality, since part p has been in force electrical safety has gone down the pan.
Are you suggesting a connection? Whilst I certainly would not argue with you if you were saying that the introduction of Part P has not resulted in an improvement in electrical safety, I don't quite see how/why it should have had the reverse effect.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Tirglas, you know this is shyte work, so you've just got to have the courage to face them down, and tell them that the works shoddy, and do they intend to fix the faults, or to walk away now, and you get someone else in to sort out the problems, and then pay them the balance less the remidial work.

They haven't left enough cable to fit the fan, hence they've had to use the wago connectors. The lack of a tube through the walls for the fan is completely inept. The fans sticking away from the wall because they also haven't inserted the rawlplugs deep enough (possibly because they cracked the tiles by using the hammer function) but it could be argued that you don;t have to use every fixing. A fused spur is used when you change from say 2.5mm cableing to 1.00mm for the outsiide lights, so there may be a valid reason for it, but the installation of it is just shoddy.

Have you checked their qualifications, as you may have cause to report them to one of the governing bodies, or is it being done under a building control notice.

Are you suggesting a connection? Whilst I certainly would not argue with you if you were saying that the introduction of Part P has not resulted in an improvement in electrical safety, I don't quite see how/why it should have had the reverse effect.
Because of the way that almost the first thing NICEIC did was to prostitute themselves and create a system whereby anybody with a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment could call themselves an electrician.

Because of the way that almost the first thing NICEIC did was to prostitute themselves and create a system whereby anybody with a 5-day training course, a couple of trivial examples of their work and some basic understanding of how to use test equipment could call themselves an electrician.
Yes, I understand that, but I still don't really understand why the situation was 'better' prior to 1/1/2005 - when people with absolutely no training or qualifications could call themselves 'electricians' and undertake any electrical work without having to involve any sort of officialdom.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all the advice guys, found the kitcehn extractor was also botched.

The owner of the company has been out this morning and promised to put everything right.

The tradesman who did all the work has already been let go for his work on other jobs.

I have to hope that it'll now get done properly. I'll post some pics of the kitchen extractor later complete botch job again.

Many thanks for all the advice guys, found the kitcehn extractor was also botched.

The owner of the company has been out this morning and promised to put everything right.

The tradesman who did all the work has already been let go for his work on other jobs.

I have to hope that it'll now get done properly. I'll post some pics of the kitchen extractor later complete botch job again.

Well, if he delivers as promised you can't complain !

DS

more pics

kitchen extractor after id removed the cover which was just pushed on

consumer unit, do you want a pic of the terminations?? not sure how to access if so

some wiring running under the house, been half clipped on to some scabby piece of old wood. functional? probably. does it look gash af yes

also noticed this gable end securtiy light. as he couldn't get the clearance for the pir sensor at the required angle, rather than spacing out with suitable material, he just ran the screws in but left them sticking out 20-30mm then put penny washers on. again gash af

i'm hoping that it will all be sorted, the plumbing they've done has been generally good, the owner is a plumber by trade and is sending out his best electrician next week. it amazes me that the original guy can make a living like that, i really couldn't live with myself knowing i'd done that in someone else's house. that is what infuriates me the most that he must of thought i was a mug.

Yes, I understand that, but I still don't really understand why the situation was 'better' prior to 1/1/2005 - when people with absolutely no training or qualifications could call themselves 'electricians' and undertake any electrical work without having to involve any sort of officialdom.
And still can.

What was "better", if that's the word you want to use, is that they could not legitimately lay claim to any form of "official" validation of their claimed status.

What became worse is that desperately under-qualified and inexperienced people gained that validation.

That is true, and I suppose some did do that.

I've never been quite sure if someone with absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, who would not have started working as an electrician before, could take a five day course and 'pass' and then start working in people's homes with false confidence.
If that could be the case, then it could be argued that the overall standard would drop.

Whatever the situation is, that does not really relate to the OP's troubles (assuming the electrical work is alright) as that is really only crap practical building, decorating and finishing work.

And still can.
Quite so.
What was "better", if that's the word you want to use, is that they could not legitimately lay claim to any form of "official" validation of their claimed status. What became worse is that desperately under-qualified and inexperienced people gained that validation.
That's true, but I'm not sure that it really explains a deterioration in the standard of work after that date (and, even if it did, as you have pointed out one cannot blame the introduction of the legislation) - even though some people of doubtful competence became able to claim " 'official' validation ", they did not suddenly appear subsequent to the introduction of Part P.

It seems that, as you have said, if there is a complaint it is that Scheme operators took the opportunity to take actions which might mislead consumers. I can't see that one can really blame the introduction of Part P for that. As I said before, I doubt that introduction of Part P, per se, has resulted in any significant improvement in 'electrical safety' but, at the same time, I cannot see how it (again, 'per se') can have had the reverse effect.

Kind Regards, John

I've never been quite sure if someone with absolutely no knowledge of electrical work, who would not have started working as an electrician before, could take a five day course and 'pass' and then start working in people's homes with false confidence. If that could be the case, then it could be argued that the overall standard would drop.
Well, yes, but as I've just written to BAS, you can't really blame the introduction of Part P for that (if it happened) - the finger is surely pointing clearly at the Scheme operators. I also doubt that what you suggest often happened - those who worked as 'electricians' whose only training/experience was that 5-day course would probably have worked as 'electricians' prior to 1/1/2005 without having even done the 5-day course. A chap I've known for decades was originally properly trained as a plumber. One day, for whatever reason (and pre-Part P), he suddenly decided to 'change career' and, having done a little reading, immediately started working as an 'electrician' (and, as far as I am aware, is still doing that).
Whatever the situation is, that does not really relate to the OP's troubles (assuming the electrical work is alright) as that is really only crap practical building, decorating and finishing work.
Indeed, and it appears that the perpetrator has already been 'dealt with'! There were, of course, incompetent tradesman (and 'cowboys') long before 2005 - so one can't blame Part P for their existance!

Kind Regards, John

Well, yes, but as I've just written to BAS, you can't really blame the introduction of Part P for that (if it happened) - the finger is surely pointing clearly at the Scheme operators.
Well, yes but as we know Part P is just a short sentence no one could disagree with - but what Watson meant was the arrangements introduced in 2005.

I also doubt that what you suggest often happened - those who worked as 'electricians' whose only training/experience was that 5-day course would probably have worked as 'electricians' prior to 1/1/2005 without having even done the 5-day course.
Yes but were there people with NO electrical knowledge who were mislead by a short course into thinking they were 'electricians'?

A chap I've known for decades was originally properly trained as a plumber. One day, for whatever reason (and pre-Part P)
Now you're doing it - Part P is irrelevant.

, he suddenly decided to 'change career' and, having done a little reading, immediately started working as an 'electrician' (and, as far as I am aware, is still doing that).
Yes, but he must have some idea and knowledge of what to do - which is my point.

Well, yes but as we know Part P is just a short sentence no one could disagree with - but what Watson meant was the arrangements introduced in 2005.
Maybe - I thought he was suggesting that introduction of Part P, itself, had somehow resulted in a deterioration in 'electrical safety'. The trade bodies could have responded by requiring 'proper' training/qualifications/experience for people wishing to be registered as self-certifying electricians - but they didn't.
Yes but were there people with NO electrical knowledge who were mislead by a short course into thinking they were 'electricians'?
Possibly, although one would have to question the intelligence of anyone taken in by that. However, again, even if it sometimes happened, that's totally down to the behaviour of the Scheme operators.
Now you're doing it - Part P is irrelevant.
As I keep saying, I do think that it is irrelevant (which has been the whole point of my comments on this topic). As I'm sure you understand, I meant "pre-2005".
Yes, but he must have some idea and knowledge of what to do - which is my point.
One would certainly hope so. However, by the same token, one would hope that someone whose only 'training' was a 5-day course would realise that they did not have an adequate "idea and knowledge of what to do" - so it's dangerous making assumptions about what people 'understand'!

Do you actually think that standards of 'electrical safety' have deteriorated appreciably since 2004?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know, but if there are people who would not have done it before 2005, but have been encouraged/authorised to work as 'electricians' then it could have resulted in a poorer average.

On the other hand, it may have taught some who were not very good to be better.

I also think that the relaxation in notifiable work, stupidly removed a need to register from the very people who were the prime target for the original introduction of the scheme and schemes - kitchen fitters, plumbers etc. - so, that could have made the situation worse since 2013.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back