Advice on poor standard on electrical work i've had carried out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi:)

purchased an 80's house a few months ago and have employed a company to c/out a rewire, full ch & hw replace and installation of an enuite shower suite and cloakroom wc.

they are now asking for payment so my wife and i have been round to compile a snagging list. so i'm just after some confirmation that i'm not being anal and the standard of the work is terrible in the areas below.

firstly i noticed the en suite extractor fan wasn't sat flush/square to the wall so i removed the cover to investigate. the reason the cover isn't sitting flush is that only 2 screws have been installed. on closer inspection where the 2 screws have been installed they've cracked the tiles. i removed the fan and the hole they've made looks awful as pictured.

also there is no ducting of any kind in there so it looks to me that the warm moist air is getting pumped into my wall cavity as well as outside?

when i checked outside they've again only installed 2 screws in the outer cover and they're obviously not the right ones.

as far as i can see the whole thing is a botch gash job and what winds me up the most is they think that is ok. So i plan to pay for the fan but refuse to pay for the installation as i will now have to sort out, do you think this i acceptable?
i do not trust them to remedy the situation as i think they may crack the tiles even further, i have and can successfully drill through tiles it just takes patience and the right tools

we also had x4 outside lights installed to the front of the house, i checked each one by gently rotating to see if they were fixed securely, the end one had loads of play in it. removed the cover and when they've installed the fixings they've blown the mortar and the lh screw is just sat there doing nothing. I realise things like this happen, however again the fact they've left it like this expecting me not to check really makes my blood boil.

we have a void below the house where most of the wiring and plumbing has been run, they've used 2 jb's down there neither are fixed to anything. i think they should be otherwise its the wire connections holding them up??

they've also installed a fused spur in one room, they've then filled it as shown, there is no way of covering the wore and maintaining a flat wall. also if 've paid for a full rewire should there be any fused spurs installed? i don't know much about electrics but i thought they were used to extend off existing circuits etc

the reason i've employed these people is i work away and physically do not have the time to get the house in a liveable state for the wife and kids. its now at a point i don't want them doing anything further.

i really do not mind paying for something if it is done right. the way i see it i pay for a tradesmens expertise/experience and their tooling. from what i can see their has been little if any. i do have high standards but please can someone reassure me that this isn't the norm??

any other advice welcome, many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
That's all just terrible.

It beggers belief that some people not only think it acceptable to leave someone's house in such a state but don't actually think anyone would notice.

How much are they asking to be paid? £3? Still too much.

What is the brown stuff in the Fused Connector picture?

The fan should have ducting through the wall.

What you have here is a fine example of "the house basher" sady, not rare !

I would give them the opportunity to put it right in the first instance, and see what response you get.

DS

It beggers belief that some people not only think it acceptable to leave someone's house in such a state but don't actually think anyone would notice.
They know that they will not suffer any sanctions because of it.

And I know from personal experience that qualities such as honesty, decency, trustworthiness, morality etc are often viewed as negative character traits.

Add those two together and this is the result.

Sponsored Links
If they rewired and fitted a new CU, (fuse box) post a pic please !

DS

Thanks for the replies guys, good to know it's not just me.

The brown stuff is some kind of adhesive, there was a section of plasterboard stuck to the wall with some wallpaper on it. The previous owner was also gash unfortunately.

There are plenty more other issues, there are 3 spots in the ensuite, probably 1200mm from end to end, and they're not straight, the centre one is off the centre line.

I work in aircraft repairs and straight lines and things being square are day one things to me, it really annoys me.

I'll post some other pics when I get home

They used the CPC in the fan supply cable as a live conductor? and sleeved it with green/yellow! And the fan is blowing into the cavity. Well, some elecricians have great pride in their work and some just want to crack something out that'll get them paid 95% of the time and then get off to the next unsuspecting customer. Unless b-a-s gets his way with chopping the arms off all people who do bad work, I don't think you'll be the last.

There's something weird going on there.
To me it looks like there's a Wago in the bottom rh corner with grey and green/ yellow coming out.

There's something weird going on there. To me it looks like there's a Wago in the bottom rh corner with grey and green/ yellow coming out.
It's impossible to be certain from the photo, but it looks to me as if the bottom Wago has two greys, and that the G/Y probably goes behind that Wago to a third Wago, behind/above that lowest one, and that the G/Y does not go the right-most Wago. However, I might be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately, the scheme provider will insist you give this cowboy a chance to rectify the job, though you probably want him nowhere near your home.

Typical part p approved quality, since part p has been in force electrical safety has gone down the pan.

No water-tight grommet on the outside light, apologies if already mentioned.

How hard was it for them to get a bit of flexi-duct behind that fan?

The fused spur is appalling, why come out of the outlet then bury the cable in the wall? Going to be difficult loosening the faceplate off the wall to look inside that.

All in all, total crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back