Advice on poor standard on electrical work i've had carried out.

The standard of electrical work on this particular job does not appear to be unsafe judging by the CU install the installer has some skill and standards.

DS

Sponsored Links
Hmm.

Judging by the rest of his work, I wouldn't bet on the inside of the CU not being a bit of a rat's nest.

Anyway - there's more to doing this sort of work than just being electrically safe, and (right now) it looks like the guy who subbed the work to him has kicked him into touch and is going to sort the problems.

Sponsored Links
Why is the boiler on a 20 amp MCB? 6 amp would be more than adequate.
Whilst I agree with you that 6A would be more than enough, I'm sure that some people would say that the MCB is there only to protect the cable, so that if the cable's CCC is no less than 20A, then "why not?" a 20A MCB!

Kind Regards, John

Whilst I agree with you that 6A would be more than enough, I'm sure that some people would say that the MCB is there only to protect the cable, so that if the cable's CCC is no less than 20A, then "why not?" a 20A MCB!

Kind Regards, John

Very true, but unusual all the same. To be quite honest the boiler does not need its own circuit anyway.

Why is the boiler on a 20 amp MCB? 6 amp would be more than adequate.

Because it's a better job - this way a socket could be added in the future.

Might even be an old immersion circuit in a house that has had a new boiler system.

Very true, but unusual all the same.
Do I take it that you don't subscribe to the view that the MCB is there only to protect the cable? If you did, and given that 1.5mm² is the smallest capable allowed for a non-lighting circuit, if it were Method C (and Table 4D5, not 4D2A!), you might just as well have a 20A MCB. That's not my way of thinking, but it is a common view.
To be quite honest the boiler does not need its own circuit anyway.
Agreed. Mind you, maybe that's a reason for the 20A MCB (and maybe 2.5mm² cable?) - so that it can be used for other things as well!

Kind Regards, John

I agree the fuse is there just to protect the cable. Even so it is rather unusual for a boiler circuit to be fused at 20 amp. It could be used for other things but doesn't seem to be.

I agree the fuse is there just to protect the cable.
OK, but to use a 6A OPD to protect a cable with a CCC ≥20A is then a bit OTT - and if it was the 6A OPD you'd prefer, as I said before, you are not allowed to use a cable with a CCC anything like that low!
Even so it is rather unusual for a boiler circuit to be fused at 20 amp. It could be used for other things but doesn't seem to be.
There's the future to consider. Many an oven could be happily supplied by a 16A/1.5mm² 'cooker circuit', but we tend not to do that!

Kind Regards, John

I always put central heating boilers on their own circuit. It's a much better design.

Boilers, and their associated components are a common cause of RCD faults.

Also the heating is one thing you really want to keep working if there's a fault elsewhere in the property.

It's very little work to put in a separate supply. It will hopefully never be needed, but when it is, it'll be one of the best things you ever did.

Boilers, and their associated components are a common cause of RCD faults.
I thought of that one, but addressing that obviously needs a bit more than just 'having a separate circuit'
Also the heating is one thing you really want to keep working if there's a fault elsewhere in the property. It's very little work to put in a separate supply. It will hopefully never be needed, but when it is, it'll be one of the best things you ever did.
I suppose so. Do you take the same approach to fridges, freezers, tropical fish tanks etc. ?

I suppose it's quite unusual, but in my house "one thing I really want to keep working if there's a fault elsewhere in the property" is the macerator in the most-often-used (ground floor) loo :) ... but, no, it's not on a dedicated circuit!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back