Advice on preparing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I have this small section of external wall (see attched image) that I'd like to tile over with more modern looking stone split face tiles.

I'm after some advice as to how best to prepare the area. I was originally thinking I would chisel off the existing stone but found the existing stone goes deeper than I thought. Therefore, I would need an electric breaker which I don't have. Now I wonder if it is possible to render over the existing stone then tile on the rendered surface.

What would be the best approach, hire a breaker and hammer of the existing stone or leave it and render and tile straight over, or something else I haven't thought of.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_104958.jpg
    IMG_20200815_104958.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
nice one, thanks for the advice.

I may now just render finish it the same as the rest of the house. This may be a question for the rendering forum but do you know if I can level this with a sand and cement based mix before rendering with weber monocouche? I assume I would need to prime the stone surface.

you could , but i’d use weber base coat.
call weber technical help they may suggest meshing it also and will be able to advise on priming.
i’d stick with sand cement personally , less faffing about and easier to prepare.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back