ADVICE SOUGHT PLEASE 5 Bed 5 Bath House - CENTRAL HEATING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone, could someone give me some information on the questions below, i think my plumber is ripping me off !

We have a 5 bed w 5 ensuite House which is a Small B&B, currently on run on Storage Heaters.

1 - Can i use a Combi Boiler to HEAT ONLY the whole house ( some 2000sq feet)

2 - If not, what would be the best system in your opinion for Heating only as hot water will be from a Tank.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP !!!

Sponsored Links
Your plumber should do a heat loss calculation for your house. You won't run five bathrooms off a combi. You certainly should get three or four estimates for the work.

You have an extensive, costly project. It would be a shame to get it wrong by going for the cheapest option.

yes it wrong to say the plumber is ripping you off...he is not giving good advice but thats a different matter..

MAY I PLEASE HAVE OPINIONS ON THE ACTUAL PROJECT PLEASE - PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINIONS ON MY PLUMBER OUT OF THIS FORUM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

- SADLY I HAVE MY REASONS TO BELIEVE HE IS RIPPING ME OFF, HENCE WHY I'M SEEKING YOUR HELP.

THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
I doubt we can do any better...

some people want drama with tradesmen others defer to their knowledge and experience...its really not a good start for you to start saying your plumber is ripping you off...

In specifying a combi for 5 showers he has mis understood the project, but thats your fault as much as his...

if hot water is from a tank then the answer is yes, however a system boiler would be the normal choice when water is tank fed.

He hasn't specified a combi for 5 shower !!! Have you read my thread properly ???

Its a combi boiler to HEAT a 5 bed house

NOT FOR HOT WATER

of course a combi will heat a whole house... it depends on the size of the house and the heat loss...do a heat loss calculation at www.idhee.org

and if the kw output is big enough for the house will you retract your statement that the plumber is ripping you off...

No darling i won't has quoted me £16k for a combi boiler installation for me heating and a tank for hot water to serve 5 showers plus the plumbing, labour.... is that the going rate ? I trusted him as he seemed nice but i find now that £16K is rip off ???

no it sounds about right...I re plumbed a house with three bathrooms and 4 bedrooms using the pipe work and it came to £17,000..it depends on the amount of time that he is on the job..

Hello Everyone, could someone give me some information on the questions below, i think my plumber is ripping me off !

We have a 5 bed w 5 ensuite House which is a Small B&B, currently on run on Storage Heaters.

2 - If not, what would be the best system in your opinion for Heating only as hot water will be from a Tank.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP !!!
1 - a combi has the combined function of heat+ hot water ( hence the name ) So it must supply at least 1 hot water tap . Ergo it is not for heat only .
2- a System Heat Only boiler ( that`s it`s title) means there is a built in expansion vessel . A heat only boiler can have a remote expansion vessel/fill point - That`s what would be best . In my opinion .

HI Nigel F in opinion what should be the cost of installing central heating in a 5 bed house with 2 reception rooms + Hot water for 5 showers, kitchen, cloakroom etc/. thank you

MAY I PLEASE HAVE OPINIONS ON THE ACTUAL PROJECT PLEASE - PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OPINIONS ON MY PLUMBER OUT OF THIS FORUM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

- SADLY I HAVE MY REASONS TO BELIEVE HE IS RIPPING ME OFF, HENCE WHY I'M SEEKING YOUR HELP.

THANK YOU

WHY IS THE OP SHOUTING AT US. :mrgreen:

It the cowboy is fitting a combi as a heat only boiler then he's ripping you off unless the OP gave him the wrong information.

Quite apart from combination boiler are less reliable than system boilers they are more expensive, but then the cowboy may have suggested the OP uses the combi for the Landlords personal use to save heating a large tank when the place is empty.

What's the cowboy priced to do for his £16k.

Does he ware a funny hat and have a straw in his mouth.

A combi boiler is used to provide heating and instant hot water. Are you sure the installer didn't say a condensing boiler? That would make more sense.

hot water will be from a Tank.
How does the installer say the tank be heated?

As for heating the house, the boiler has to be sized for the calculated heat loss. You can do this yourself by using Whole House Boiler Size Calculator.

Hot water requirements are a different matter; you have to take into account the number of baths/showers which could be in use at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back