ADVICE - Standard dimmer and dimmer-able LED's or vice versa ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a double room currently fitted with twelve 35w halogen GU10's (6 each side of room) and a standard 2 gang dimmer.

What is the best option to convert this to Dimmable LED's ?

A trailing edge dimmer and standard led's ?

Or a standard dimmer and Dimmable led's ??

Price is also a concern here as well.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Neither is a suitable option. You need a trailing edge dimmer, and dimmable LEDs. Decide what LEDs you want, and then find the most compatible dimmer, as it can be an issue sometimes with flickering.

Neither is a suitable option. You need a trailing edge dimmer, and dimmable LEDs. Decide what LEDs you want, and then find the most compatible dimmer, as it can be an issue sometimes with flickering.

This what i was worried about, i presumed you could use a railing edge dimmer with standard leds' !!

Looking at using twelve 6w COB leds's.

Cheers

It shouldn't be a worry, the dimmers aren't too expensive.

It will go by brand to be honest. LEDHut LED's dim better with Varilight dimmers, and they sell the best ones for it. Not sure on other brands so much. Just avoid anything on eBay that comes from China and is too cheap to be decent.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, unbranded - never a good start.

I'd suggest these - https://www.ledhut.co.uk/5-watt-gu10-led-spotlight-50w-replacement-10-pack.html when you add dimmable option they go up £3 (You can also buy singularly).

Also, 6000k - 6500k is very cold colour, I doubt you want that unless it's a massive utility room or something! You want warm white for most rooms in a house, so 4000k or thereabouts.

Cheers, i'm aware the colour kelvin temp colour, what dimmer is proven to work well with these - 2 gang.

Cheers

I have messaged LEDHut and asked them to recommend a 2 gang dimmer to compliment their branded - LUMILIFE led's

I will go with whatever is cheapestas the Varilight has a proven track record..

All sorted from LEDHUT, plus their own dimmer, plus 10% off as new customer.

Thanks guys !!

All sorted from LEDHUT, plus their own dimmer, plus 10% off as new customer.

Thanks guys !!

It will without a doubt be a Varilight dimmer. Read the instructions when it arrives to get optimal dimming range and see if you need to manually set the drive mode (y)

It will without a doubt be a Varilight dimmer. Read the instructions when it arrives to get optimal dimming range and see if you need to manually set the drive mode (y)

Yea will do mate, they did mention it, plus the reviews are great, not worth the hassle trying to save a few quid, so many problems in the past with flickering, low lamp life etc..Nice one !!

Megaman dim to warm are mint gu10 bulbs, rather expensive though I got them for £4.50.ea from an eBay seller

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back