1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on home insurance while house under renovation and vacant

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by Jonny Vee, 21 Feb 2020.

1. imroberts

imroberts

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry if I've confused anyone.

My experience was that because I wasn't sleeping there, the insurers classed it as unoccupied. In my case the house was completely uninhabitable though, there was no electricity and no running water beyond the stop tap, and no toilet etc. so there's no way I could possibly have argued the point if anything did happen.

If you have the means to setup somewhere to sleep and your conditions satisfy an insurer, you might be fine with a standard policy and just sleep there once a week or once a month to satisfy whatever terms are imposed.

You'd be best off ringing your current insurers and see what they have to say.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ask them, what you need to do to meet the condition of the house being occupied - get it in writing.
    Do that, nothing else.

4. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There appears to be a lot of confusion / differing Information being discemanated by various Insurers ???

Question? would the Insurer class a property that had been flooded, an insurance claim for Flood accepted by the Insurer [with me so far??]

The family have to move out, being placed in accommodation paid for by the Insurer for [lets say] 9 months ?

The property is not habitable, [the insurers Contractors are ripping it apart] the Policy Holder cannot "reside" or "sleep" in the property

Will the insurer then invoke the un-occupancy clause?

Also the policy Holder will not visit very often, officially say 3 or 4 tiles in the 9 Months??

5. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth............

When we were building and living on site in a caravan the babbling brook became a raging torrent and flooded the site.

upload_2020-2-22_20-45-6.png

These pictures were taken sometime after the peak ( which was more than 12 inches deep inside the caravan ). The insurers were very good and paid for everything other than items inside the caravan. It was after all a builders insurance policy and not "domestic buildings" insurance. If the building had gone beyond the insured period then the renewal premium would have been a lot higher.

6. Jonny Vee

Jonny Vee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    After half an hour waiting for someone to speak with me they turned up on saying we only offer unoccupied insurance to an existing customers.

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Jonny Vee

Jonny Vee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What about Sainsbury's bank insurance? price seems reasonable

9. KenGMac

KenGMac

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. domdee

domdee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  11. Jonny Vee

Jonny Vee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Are they expensive?

12. domdee

domdee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    havent ran the quote yet. you have to sign up to do so. im not in a position to start yet so havent bothered.

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local