Airing Cupboard Automatic Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to fit a small flurescent light in the airing cupboard which is operated by an automatic door switch. ie door opens light comes on.

Had a trawl round internet but cant find anything.

Any suggestions?

Steve.

Sponsored Links
Do you need to use a fluorescent fitting in your airing cupboard, when an ordinary GLS lamp would be more efficient for such a short duration?

I only mention this because many of these door switches are only rated at 1 Amp, they're cheap and nasty and they don't take kindly to fluorescent loads. Some are rated at 2 Amps but the best ones have a 5 Amp rating.

Sponsored Links
I have one of those mini triphosphor kitchen cabinet lights in our cupboard.

I don't have a genie switch on mine, but it gives plenty of light, and warms up much quicket than a normal flourescent.

Something like this would be fine on a 1A switch even taking the inrush current into account.

I've also got those slimline linkable lights, and those Jeanie switches, in my wardrobe.

Been there a few years - no problems.

Steve - one practical tip - the spring on those switches is very strong - you must get it really close to the hinged edge or it'll push the door open.

Cheers lads for the replies.

Yes the switches on the first link are 1 amp and 2 amp so will knock the flurescent in the head and go for one of those slimline lights.

A 1 amp will be fine for those lights?

Do I put this in the live feed or neutral?

Ha good point about the strength of these will make sure its on the hinge side :)

Steve

If the door switch rating is not high enough, you could use an occupancy switch.

Yes the switches on the first link are 1 amp and 2 amp so will knock the flurescent in the head and go for one of those slimline lights.
They ARE fluorescent :LOL: BUT they are instant start, and reach full brightness very quickly, very suited to the task at hand here.

The door being pushed open shouldnt be an issue surely, if the door has a catch, magnetic or mechanical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back