alarm and mains cable interference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have had a new kitchen installed and the ceiling about to get skimmed, I have an alarm cable already in place in the ceiling for a 12v CO detector but I have noticed that the electrician has ran 2 cables (downlighters) after through the same drill hole as alarm cable,is this likely to cause any interference at all?. The alarm cable and mains are around 5m long max will this be a problem?

ps I have 2 spike suppressors inside the main panel one for the mains and the other for the 12v circuits.

cheers R

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will get him to move them I thought him being a qualified electrician he would or should know better probably just to lazy to drill another hole, I hate laziness. cheers

TBH, it is highly unlikely it will cause any interference and trip the Co detector, the cable is most likely carrying power feed to the detector, and not tiny signals to be processed in a panel, all processing happens inside a detector head, and is unlikely to effect the detector circuit even if there was heavy interference since a detector would be designed to reject any interferences, as is now required by all items to meet strict EMC directives against noise and interference.
It is a good practice to keep them separate but it is not essential.

Sponsored Links
thanks,yep the cable will be carrying the 12v supply to detector, alarm NC loop and the tamper NC loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back