All builders must be millionaires?

Sponsored Links
£500 sounds like a good price to me.
Thats what I would have said. Noting many others holding their cards to their chests here. :LOL:

In the past whenever I've quoted work it will be x amount of consultants at x a day plus expenses. I always quoted like that unless I was ashamed of how much I was overcharging of course.

None of this smoke n mirrors bs. Come on whats your estimated day rates for this job. Will try n get pics but sounded like 4 shelves with sides on some cabinet with doors. Plus 2 doors and a enclosed gas meter. Nothing more all bare mdf not laminate ffs!

I wouldn't charge for example 4k turn up and do it all in one day and say well you accepted the quote thats taking advantage of the customer and shafting them . I would upnfront say well its about 2men 200/day each for 10days or whatever.

Last edited:
Builders have plenty of money because they never pay the plumbers or sparks

we are owed thousands by builders over the years

stopped working for em years ago

had one ring up last week wants 3 new builds doing

basically told him to go forth and multiply

advice to any one wanting to go self employed

avoid builders
Property developers

like the plague

or get all yer money up front

Sponsored Links
If the chippy had taken 14 days, would you of given him more money?

A price is a price, regardless of time taken.

Andy
Absolutely i would without a question, if he was genuinely working a full day flat out and got to day x and said look this is taking me much longer, i have and would. Did in the past in fact, i don't see the point in fking anyone over either way?

The same if he ended up doing what he estimated would take 3 days finished in 1 day (same hours) i have and would expect in return a day rate charge. However if 20men turned up and it was done in a day of course i would adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Builders have plenty of money because they never pay the plumbers or sparks

we are owed thousands by builders over the years

stopped working for em years ago

had one ring up last week wants 3 new builds doing

basically told him to go forth and multiply

advice to any one wanting to go self employed

avoid builders
Property developers

like the plague

or get all yer money up front

Good friend of mine is a builder he's good at talking the talk but wow I don't use him because he flips to ruthless business mode and would happily stiff me too (hmm ok a friend). Problem is he's so vocal about what he pays his guys and then baulks at anyone around him who gets quotes saying you're having a laugh how much. Meanwhile he's skimming a mint off his guys he lives in a very big house.

Why would anyone employ a builder when you can get a skilled gardener loads cheaper to build you an extension.

Just saying, for all those woke snowflake plumbers and office dwellers.

Why would anyone employ a builder when you can get a skilled gardener loads cheaper to build you an extension.

Built my last two houses not a 'builder' in sight just my partner as PM an architect and building control advising/inspecting, whilst all tradesmen did as they were asked? Amazing, must have been luck. Saved us alot of money too. I do use a skilled gardner direct instead of a builder charging me 200% markup to use him. OK i have an engineering background but hey.

Come on then how much do you make on your men. How's those nice skiing trips of yours, not cheap are they ;)

I've never told customers how much i cost per day because it is not a fixed price.
If I'm cutting and fitting shelves I won't be charging the same as building a bespoke wardrobe.
I give them a final all inclusive price, if they like it I draw a contract and go ahead, if they don't like it that's fine, never been short of work.
I remember walking away from a floor refurb because second day in the landlord (a multimillionaire) said that the quote he had accepted and signed for was too much as he had worked out my profit.
We packed up the tools and left.
His wife wasn't pleased at all.
She called me and made the cheapskate apologise over the phone.
She then made him transfer the rest of the money to finish the job (her sister had recommended me) and told him to clear the house until we were finished.
We went back next day and we found she'd left a bottle of bubbly each as an apology.
Never saw the cheapskate again.
Maybe she killed him and stuffed him under the floor we refurbished.

I've never told customers how much i cost per day because it is not a fixed price.
If I'm cutting and fitting shelves I won't be charging the same as building a bespoke wardrobe.
I give them a final all inclusive price, if they like it I draw a contract and go ahead, if they don't like it that's fine, never been short of work.
I remember walking away from a floor refurb because second day in the landlord (a multimillionaire) said that the quote he had accepted and signed for was too much as he had worked out my profit.
We packed up the tools and left.
His wife wasn't pleased at all.
She called me and made the cheapskate apologise over the phone.
She then made him transfer the rest of the money to finish the job (her sister had recommended me) and told him to clear the house until we were finished.
We went back next day and we found she'd left a bottle of bubbly each as an apology.
Never saw the cheapskate again.
Maybe she killed him and stuffed him under the floor we refurbished.
No that's fine, come on why is it like the frikking MI6 files when it comes to divulging your day rate?

In my industry we all charge a flat rate for our skillset its clearly quoted on any work before we commit, along with sundries or expenses incurred there are no smoke and mirrors, take it or leave it. If you only want a remedial task you don't get me you get a lower rate and a lesser skilled person. I still don't make sh't up and leave customer with a prolapsed rectum saying you agreed mofo didn't you quantify the job with the mind of a skilled trader before you accepted?

Forgive me if i sound like a customer from hell i can't stand people being stiffed no matter the trade.

I was watching a motor prog the other night this guy hand turning wheel caps they were a beautiful work of art, after he revealed he charged 120 for 4. Drew Pritchard exclaimed i would have paid 120 each, and so would i, it's a skill you just can't get without years and years of honing. Any cn't can cut a straight sheet of wood with a festool on rails.

Last edited:
Was he called 'Festive' and spent a lot of time on his phone...?

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

No that's fine, come on why is it like the frikking MI6 files when it comes to divulging your day rate?

In my industry we all charge a flat rate for our skillset, there are no smoke and mirrors, take it or leave it. If you only want a remedial task you don't get me you get a lower rate and a lesser skilled person. I still don't make sh't up and leave customer with a prolapsed rectum saying you agreed mofo didn't you quantify the job with the mind of a skilled trader before you accepted?
As a rule of thumb I would say that in my days I was charging £200/250 per day.
But if someone in need (pensioners) asked me to change a messed up worktop, I would do it on a weekend and charge a token £50 plus material.
On desperate occasions I didn't charge at all.
On most occasions, for bigger jobs I would calculate in my mind how long the job was, what tools were needed, how skilled it was, access, how busy I was, customer attitute, material and possible problems.
Considering all of this I would come up with a price.
You'll be shocked to know that once I built a 5 metre bespoke wardrobe for a loft conversion in 10 days for £15k plus material.
Customer was very happy and 15 years later that wardrobe is still perfect.
She sends me a Christmas card every year.

As a rule of thumb I would say that in my days I was charging £200/250 per day.
But if someone in need (pensioners) asked me to change a messed up worktop, I would do it on a weekend and charge a token £50 plus material.
On desperate occasions I didn't charge at all.
On most occasions, for bigger jobs I would calculate in my mind how long the job was, what tools were needed, how skilled it was, access, how busy I was, customer attitute, material and possible problems.
Considering all of this I would come up with a price.
You'll be shocked to know that once I built a 5 metre bespoke wardrobe for a loft conversion in 10 days for £15k plus material.
Customer was very happy and 15 years later that wardrobe is still perfect.
She sends me a Christmas card every year.
Alot of respect and im sure from what you say here i'm sure you've lived off your reputation.

The guy who did both my roofs i paid him whatever he asks as i know A) he brings with him experience to question the drawings and solve any issues, and b) his work is so good, every angle is a cut i would take 10times as long to perfect what he does, he's a joy to watch in motion. So yes of course.. people like you i get it.

This chap it seems (until i see the photos) managed 400/day or between them charged that for some rudimentary cabinet and door work.

Sponsored Links
Back