All builders must be millionaires?

Come on then how much do you make on your men. How's those nice skiing trips of yours, not cheap are they ;)

Well it seems evident, few traders on here have been happy to divulge in their day rates and how they quote (thankyou), but 'builders' i see none on here want to expand on how they come about their magical quotes and or how much they skim off their poor workforce, i wonder why? (y)

Sponsored Links
Good on you for telling him to bollogs. Those that didn't are part of the reason he became wealthy in the first place.

This is true at the same time no industry should be regarded as a 'charity' (yeah lets just give em what they want) .

I would say that was more of a clash of minds. You could argue that's why builder X became wealthy in the first place because people less caring about the pennies (afterall the pounds look after themselves) weren't willing to challenge the quote and the profit margins over quality of work in return. (but yes i agree if it's worth it and you know it, where do you put a value on a skilled tradesmen, (see my previous post to my goto chippie for roofing work, i never question his invoices) but if it's simple work a 1st fixer could do then fck off you're taking the p1$$ if you want to charge me 800 labour for a few days work)

I have found that a few times in the past where ive asked a trader for a breakdown, normally the ones that get ****ty or nervous about it i know straight away there's something amiss 'sorry i would be very grateful if you could detail how much of this is on materials??' etc. Maybe it's because my old man was in the engineering and construction industry.

When I give a quote, it is a final price the customer will pay. Many landlords ask for a breakdown of parts and materials. My reply is NO. I tell them what I will be doing and how much they will be paying.

By giving a breakdown all they want to do is supply their own inferior materials just to knock the price down, sorry landlord I am not interested.

Andy

Which Industry is that?

Its like some plate glass work I needed doing on a door, I am talking 2sq ft. I was quoted £950 by one guy and said he was booked up for 3 months. I then had it done from a friends recommendation for £275. It was just removing the glass and relining it.

Industry didn't we discuss this before? Well currently i am just consulting on some projects which interweave, security, dapp and smart contracts, its where it's all going now im turning stuff down it's crazy.

Sponsored Links
how much they skim off their poor workforce, i wonder why? (y)
If I told you the status of 'my right arm' (as I call him) you would not believe me in any case, but here goes..
He's 22 and has had his own house (dog and cat) for over a year.

He has his own Mercedes van and sporty French hatchback.

He's generously paid.

He receives a very generous bonus every Christmas.

He uses all my tools on a private basis out of work time.

I have worked on his house for free.

All sub-contractors are paid on the day and their workers all get a wee tip.

My floor screeder did a gratuity for me last year as a thankyou for loyalty.

I use the same electrician, scaffolder, grab man, concrete man, building materials supplier plumber etc as I have always done.

I have zero debts. All my accounts are paid at the end of the month.

I have enough work till late Autumn and have a quote pending on my desk that will take us till the end of the year (if I get it). I work 7 days a week to make sure the work keeps coming in, albeit only part time on Sat and Sun.

I could go on but I'm boring myself. Please don't try and educate me about building or ethics. And jonny2007 is equally as clueless.

fact is the construction industry is blighted with to many middlemen ( plumbing heating) all vieing to get there snouts in the trough

and a slice of the pie doing f all really

government schemes are a waste of space imho all this green deal caper pretty much results in all the work going to a few large companies

who than sub it out at a pittance to the bloke at the coal face

these pencil pushing dead beats infect the industry like a desease , most of em should be stood up against the nearest wall imo

for swindeling deceit and for being a waste of space

one thing this pandemic has shown its who is important

yep people like shelf stackers
bum wipers / carers
delivery people
people working in the service industry and construction

not some waste of space multi degree holding dead beat or some ceo of some fashion shop or some cheif exec of some gymnassium chain
or air line

how much they skim off their poor workforce, i wonder why? (y)
I took on 'my right arm' from school. He wasn't at all academically interested and wanted to go into the building trade. His dad asked me if I'd take him on and his mom and aunty came down with him for the 'interview'.

If he eventually goes on to better things, then I wish him well.

Industry didn't we discuss this before? Well currently i am just consulting on some projects which interweave, security, dapp and smart contracts, its where it's all going now im turning stuff down it's crazy.

Nice to be in demand. Anything security is hot.

I'm still taking the shake you recommended. (y)

I took on 'my right arm' from school. He wasn't at all academically interested and wanted to go into the building trade. His dad asked me if I'd take him on and his mom and aunty came down with him for the 'interview'.

If he eventually goes on to better things, then I wish him well.

He'll be hard to replace by the sound of him.

He'll be hard to replace by the sound of him.
True. He's also dedicated, doesn't drink or take drugs, is NEVER late and uses his phone only in break times. I discouraged him from gambling (snared by a freebee) a few weeks after he turned 18.

My youngest is showing very good signs.

Sponsored Links
Back