All builders must be millionaires?

Sponsored Links
Was he called 'Festive' and spent a lot of time on his phone...?
Oh you bitch :LOL: my god you on the rag this week?

Come on luxury ski meister what do you pay your minions as a percentage on those mega builds? Or day rate i bet it's FA i bet you nail the c's to the floor. Enough to afford a new multi tool?

My 'friend' im thinking about that again now has a fair influence on work in the area, a few that work for him dare not freelance because if he finds out they're ousted from his network. He's like a pimp. Is that you?

Last edited:
No that's fine, come on why is it like the frikking MI6 files when it comes to divulging your day rate?
£130 a day decorating
£160 a day kitchen fitting, hanging doors, shelving etc.
£200 a day bathroom fitting (slightly less, plumber gets £200 a day, I get a bit less for the studwork plastering tiling etc)

For the larger stuff I try to build in a reasonable buffer on time, bear in mind Cornwall is at the lower end of the pay scale, but believe me at those rates I'm still undercut, I do chuckle when it's somebody who operates out of the back of a Mondeo estate who does a crap job. Another practice in this part of the world is to give an 'estimate', then at the end of the job up the price by 20-30% with the justification 'it took longer than I thought'. Although an estimate is exactly that, I tend to honour them unless there are genuine surprises which I draw to the attention of the customer and give them various options.
I'm always busy.

Sponsored Links
£130 a day decorating
£160 a day kitchen fitting, hanging doors, shelving etc.
£200 a day bathroom fitting (slightly less, plumber gets £200 a day, I get a bit less for the studwork plastering tiling etc)

For the larger stuff I try to build in a reasonable buffer on time, bear in mind Cornwall is at the lower end of the pay scale, but believe me at those rates I'm still undercut, I do chuckle when it's somebody who operates out of the back of a Mondeo estate who does a crap job. Another practice in this part of the world is to give an 'estimate', then at the end of the job up the price by 20-30% with the justification 'it took longer than I thought'. Although an estimate is exactly that, I tend to honour them unless there are genuine surprises which I draw to the attention of the customer and give them various options.
I'm always busy.
Respect filly that's roughly where i thought prices would be thankyou.

So this takes me back to what my friend was quoted, 900 for 2 days work that's a proper shafting. Serves her right i guess for trusting a builder.

We have had clients who have an extension built or wat ever

they call us up and ask us to do some work relevant to the alterations

question

who we working for unit the builder

if the answer is the builder

It’s goodbye ;)

Another potential no no is working in social housing

jeez us wept wat a total miserable nightmare dealing with whingers and d ck eads

A nation of whiners whingers grizzle and gripe about any thing

even wiping yer feet on a door mat results in some email complaint before u get to the end of the drive

never do em any favours tell em nothing u can work for em for days and they are to tight and I’ll mannered to offer u a cup of tea

there are some nasty horrible people out there we have worked for em

Any tradesman in our home always gets so much tea n biscuits they're ****ing like a race horse. No seriously, what's the cost of a tea or a coffee and a plate of biscuits cookies etc in the grand scheme? If it helps them stay on it, and gives them positive vibes why not.

I have never given an estimate and started work.
I always gave final quotes and stuck to it.
Anyone working on estimate is up to no good imo.

I used to charge £500 per day to teach database construction in the early 2000's.
I've no idea what the going rate is today.
Been out of the loop for over fifteen years.

Off on a slight tangent here but I've read a few articles and seen a few YT vids that advise new tradespeople how they should go about calculating their hourly rate. One YT vid was a guy in the states (established handyman) advising people not to simply pick an arbitrary figure as it might not cover all business costs. It made for quite interesting viewing. I think most customers will always be looking for a well priced job, quite right, however there's surely a difference between that and expecting tradespeople to work for peanuts? I can be guilty of this. Because I don't 'get a man in' that often or keep track of prices, it can be a bit of a shock when you get a job priced and you think 'how much?!?' then when you apply some logic, you realise you're basing it on 20+ years ago.

I'm always a bit cautious around the 'I know someone, I'll get them to do it for you, mates rates' cause it doesn't always work out that way price wise. For any medium/large job, I always get 2-3 quotes and make a decision from there. Assuming there's not a local pricing cartel in operation, that way you can make a more informed choice about who is meeting your requirements (including cost) best.

Will there be tradespeople out there shafting customers price wise? Yes. This happens everywhere.

Or you're on the fiddle and doing it all cash or you're fking up real bad somewhere.

Was talking to a friend of mine his daughter just had some work done, apparently she asked her friend who's a builder he said he'd get one of his chippies to do it for her at a good price.

He spent two days not really whole ones fitting an mdf cabinet and some shelves one end, plus some full height doors (mdf x 2) and (half overlay hinges 3 per door) no finishing no sealed no nothing

And literally boxed in a gas meter.

1Man @ 2 days and we reckon 4 sheets of 18mm mdf n some screws. Go on guess.[/QUOTE

No that's fine, come on why is it like the frikking MI6 files when it comes to divulging your day rate?

In my industry we all charge a flat rate for our skillset its clearly quoted on any work before we commit, along with sundries or expenses incurred there are no smoke and mirrors, take it or leave it. If you only want a remedial task you don't get me you get a lower rate and a lesser skilled person. I still don't make sh't up and leave customer with a prolapsed rectum saying you agreed mofo didn't you quantify the job with the mind of a skilled trader before you accepted?

Forgive me if i sound like a customer from hell i can't stand people being stiffed no matter the trade.

I was watching a motor prog the other night this guy hand turning wheel caps they were a beautiful work of art, after he revealed he charged 120 for 4. Drew Pritchard exclaimed i would have paid 120 each, and so would i, it's a skill you just can't get without years and years of honing. Any cn't can cut a straight sheet of wood with a festool on rails.

Which Industry is that?

Its like some plate glass work I needed doing on a door, I am talking 2sq ft. I was quoted £950 by one guy and said he was booked up for 3 months. I then had it done from a friends recommendation for £275. It was just removing the glass and relining it.

I remember walking away from a floor refurb because second day in the landlord (a multimillionaire) said that the quote he had accepted and signed for was too much as he had worked out my profit..

Good on you for telling him to bollogs. Those that didn't are part of the reason he became wealthy in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Back