All season tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone run these on their car and if yes, do you notice an improvement in handling, grip, traction when driving in icy/snowy conditions? I'm thinking more about front wheel drive cars tbh and I'm specifically referring to all season tyres, not winter ones. e.g. this sort of thing:

I appreciate there are many variables to this, however in general just wondering if all seasons perform as designed.

p.s. (here comes my DIYNot forum anti-argue disclaimer) I posted the above link purely as an example. I'm not saying those specific tyres are good or bad ;)

Sponsored Links
I’ve used them for years, mostly Bridgestone A005 and Michelin cross climate.

fantastic in snow when new, performance drops off once you get down to say 4mm

A new set in snow will get up and down hill better than any car on summer tyres, even 4 wheel drives

In my opinion they are not perhaps not as good in the warm dry season, but great in wet and snow.

I’ve used them for years, mostly Bridgestone A005 and Michelin cross climate.

fantastic in snow when new, performance drops off once you get down to say 4mm

A new set in snow will get up and down hill better than any car on summer tyres, even 4 wheel drives

In my opinion they are not perhaps not as good in the warm dry season, but great in wet and snow.
Cheers. Yeah tbh 98% of the year I don't need them. However for example at present, although main roads are clear, getting in and out of my cul-de-sac can be a nightmare, surface still snow covered and will take x days to clear if temp doesn't rise.

So if I thought all seasons would help (whilst still being a reasonable tyre for rest of the year) I might be tempted next time I need to change.

Sponsored Links
Summer tyres are made of a rubber that goes very hard and loses grip at frosty temperatures

So, no, they don't work well in winter.
Yeah I've noticed this in the blurb for all seasons, slightly (softer?) compound that's less prone to hardening at zero temps.

Before I travelled to Czech Republic for all of Nov and Dec last year I changed all 4 tyres on my van (they were near the limit anyway) for all season tyres. It's the law over there, as it is in many colder European countries, to have winter or all season tyres fitted when the mercury starts dropping. I would have bought them anyway for peace of mind as winters can be a bit vicious where I went.

I chose Kumho Solus 4S, and have been very happy with them. They are quiet and ride better than the normal budget radials I had on before. Seem to be wearing quite well too, though winter/all seasons may not last quite so long as the compound is softer. Many Eastern Europeans will have 2 sets of wheels/tyres for summer and winter or poss 2 sets of tyres which they swap over onto their rims. The Kumhos seem to have good reviews and were good value from Black Circles.

When in CZ, we did have snow - and not being The UK, the authorities kept the main roads clear. Side roads would have been dicey with normal tyres, but I was surprised that with a bit of care, the all seasons gave excellent grip. Few times I tackled some steepish inclines with fresh snow and they gripped well and got me to the top. The heavy diesel lump sitting over the front driven wheels also helps a lot. If we get any snow here this winter, I'm sure it will take a lot more than previous years to cause me any problems.

Last edited:
What is it you are asking? Are you asking whether winter tyres work, or are you asking whether they're worth the hassle & expense?

Yes, they work. They are better than 'normal' tyres. Are they worth the hassle & expense? Only you can do the sums.

What is it you are asking? Are you asking whether winter tyres work, or are you asking whether they're worth the hassle & expense?

Yes, they work. They are better than 'normal' tyres. Are they worth the hassle & expense? Only you can do the sums.
Do you always try to be argumentative? Are you hoping to take PatEx's crown? Here's a wee reminder for you ...

do you notice an improvement in handling, grip, traction when driving in icy/snowy conditions?

Do you always try to be argumentative? Are you hoping to take PatEx's crown? Here's a wee reminder for you ...

do you notice an improvement in handling, grip, traction when driving in icy/snowy conditions?
Lets play troll tennis & I'll bat your ball right back into your court.

Do you think that winter tyres is a lie???

Lets play troll tennis & I'll bat your ball right back into your court.

Do you think that winter tyres is a lie???
I can't/won't play troll tennis cause questions like this make no sense in relation to my opening post ;)

I can't/won't play troll tennis cause questions like this make no sense in relation to my opening post ;)
The fitting of winter tyres makes sense if you have ever been in a situation where you really wished you'd fitted winter tyres & thought they would make a difference.

I'm quite sure this revelation is beyond you, so we won't go further shall we.

I'm quite sure this revelation is beyond you, so we won't go further shall we.
The OP was only looking for someone with real world experience and advice. Not everything does what it says on the tin.

Last edited:
The OP was only looking for someone with real world experience and advice. Not everything does what it says on the tin.
Don't worry, Dork evidently hasn't yet grasped what a forum is actually for ...

Forum Member (start of world cup)
So, how far do you reckon England can go in the world cup this year?

Dork
How the heck should I know?!? Go ask Gareth ffs!!!

Sponsored Links
Back