All season tyres

Summer tyre rubber compounds are geared to working best in warmer temperatures, just as Winter tyres work better at very cold temperatures
That's almost identical to the soft rubber low noise faster wear, harder rubber more noise shower wear equation.

Sponsored Links
Here's a thought. Is it really necessary to even be thinking about 'winter' tyres when all we've had so far is a bad frost & 1mm of snow???

Sponsored Links
when's the best time to think about them?

when you are stuck ?
When's the best time to think about swapping out this small, but very economical & socially acceptable small car, for one that actually works . . . . !

I've used M+S (mud and snow) tyres all year round on the drive axle of my transits for years, defiantly improves traction on grass and snow.

Also keep a set of chains in the van, not used them in a long time though

Maxxis ma-w2, sadly not sure if they're still available to buy in the uk anymore

On my Van I have Michelin Cross climate

Like them but are expensive.

Checked on the van drivers the other week and it was dangerous knackered. (Wires poking through)

Not easy to get hole of I went to a Part worn tyre place.
I said I said I just wanted a cheap part worn to keep me going. (It ca then be a spare)

£49.99 bit expensive but had little choice.

Puts it on and it's a Michelin Cross climate that matched my rest. So very cheap

Best tyre on the van

Last edited:
That's half the battle though, modern "fancy" cars with big wide wheels and tyres, they're hopeless in the snow. Too wide.

Never mind modern cars, I had a Cavalier GSi back in 94 or thereabouts, wide-ish tyres. Bad snow. Vehicles queued on snowy road, very slight gradient. When the traffic started to move, the Cavalier was going nowhere, front just slid side to side. There was another performance type car a bit ahead, same thing happening.

Cue a Mini Metro on its skinny tyres ... went sailing past us :)

Never mind modern cars, I had a Cavalier GSi back in 94 or thereabouts, wide-ish tyres. Bad snow. Vehicles queued on snowy road, very slight gradient. When the traffic started to move, the Cavalier was going nowhere, front just slid side to side. There was another performance type car a bit ahead, same thing happening.

Cue a Mini Metro on its skinny tyres ... went sailing past us :)
Almost the same happened to us, stuck on a hill, a tatty old van with skinny tyres whizzed past

Waste of time. No tyre is going to magically grip on ice, so the ones you use for summer work for winter
Nearly everything you have said in this thread is ill informed or incorrect, which is quite out of character for you..

Are you feeling all right?

Sponsored Links
Back