All season tyres

Summer tyres are made of a rubber that goes very hard and loses grip at frosty temperatures

So, no, they don't work well in winter.
So what advantage do summer tyres give to summer driving?

Why should anyone in the UK change between seasonal tyres, when the technology is there for a single tyre to perform in all seasons and all weathers?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We've got them on the Landrover only because they were on the car when we bought it, in fact, I wasn't really aware of them, I knew you could get snow tyres that you take off after the winter. When they need replacing I'll probably go for the same again, one less thing to worry about.
It's the wife's car, nice to know she's a little safer in this weather.

Tyres are made to perform best at a certain temperature. Winter tyres work well in low temperatures as they are a softer compound. They will work in summer too but being a softer compound they won’t last anywhere near as long as summer tyres. Racing tyres for F1 cars and Moto GP bikes are as sticky as bubblegum and have unbelievable grip when up to temperature which is how they can do this on a track without sliding off!

2B8D55A8-8F46-4D10-BF7C-28611B1DB82C.jpeg

Downside is, they use a few sets per race which would be impractical for a road going bike or car. Add tread into the mix for when it’s raining and you will see that there are many compromises to be made for road tyres and they aim to give a good balance between grip, wear, water clearance etc.

Why should anyone in the UK change between seasonal tyres, when the technology is there for a single tyre to perform in all seasons and all weathers?

Better wet and dry braking is the main one, I think. Also better handling, if that is something that is important to you. Summer vs AllSeason example:

1670873226888.png

Sponsored Links
Better wet and dry braking is the main one, I think. Also better handling, if that is something that is important to you. Summer vs AllSeason example:

View attachment 288780
In a laboratory or under laboratory test conditions with perfect tread, perfect pressure and every other thing perfect including the driver.

But in the real world its just subjective, as they make no real difference otherwise there would be a requirement to fit them.

as they make no real difference otherwise there would be a requirement to fit them.

That doesn't follow. Otherwise everyone would be forced to buy new cars with the highest safety standards.

as they make no real difference otherwise there would be a requirement to fit them.
They must make a difference, otherwise they wouldn't be compulsory in the Nordic countries.
Edit; they were talking about this on Jeremy Vine today and there was a lady from Norway on, it was her I heard saying they had to fit them.
Maybe I didn’t hear all she said and she might well have said full snow tyres.

Last edited:
They must make a difference, otherwise they wouldn't be compulsory in the Nordic countries.
There is a technical difference, there is no dispute that certain rubber compounds and tread patterns will perform better than others in certain situations.

If the roads are covered in snow for months on end, then perhaps it would make sense to fit a snow tyre. But then again I suspect people who drive in snow covered lands know how to drive in snow anyway.

But the OP is in the UK and presumably it's about UK driving, where a single tyre type is more than adequate. And the average Joe, just wont know any difference.

That doesn't follow. Otherwise everyone would be forced to buy new cars with the highest safety standards.
General tyres are made to an acceptable performance standard. If they didn't perform well in certain seasons then there would be a requirement to change them.

The notion of changing to summer and winter tyres other than a throwback to 1890, is merely a marketing ploy to sell tyres wheels and a service.

The main advantage of all seasons tyres in snow it you get to back of the que for those that have summer tyres and get stuck so much quicker.

I consider myself an average Joe in this respect.

I have to concur with Notch.

We have been using Michelin Cross Climate + and Bridgestone Weather Control A005 for years.
Lately we moved to Michelin Cross Climate 2 and Bridgestone Weather Control A005 Evo.

They have both been excellent performers in the cold, with good braking and grip in the wet.
The times we have had snow, they have been much grippier than our previous Summer choices.

Well happy with them.

Summer tyre rubber compounds are geared to working best in warmer temperatures, just as Winter tyres work better at very cold temperatures. The best solution would be to have a spare set of rims with Winters and swap them as the seasons change.

All-season tyres have a mixture of characteristics that perform well in both seasons. They are not as good as swapping rims, but they are a good compromise.
And obviously you only need one set of wheels/ tyres.

And as time goes on, all-season tyres are getting better and better.

Here is a link to Winter tyre tests:

Here's a link to all-season tyre tests:

Q1. They are formulated for a temperate (rather than summer) temp range based on historical values.
Q2. They may wish to drive in a country outside the temperate range and where it may be law.

Think Formula 1 in reverse. Take their dry tyres: do you reckon they use the same compound at Silverstone and Bahrain?

I drive to the French Alps in winter, and I choose to switch to winter tyres based one dozens of other skiers' 'real-world' experiences.

Think Formula 1 in reverse.
I don't think 99% of motorists are F1 driving standard, nor are their cars tuned to F1 specification. So they won't actually know the difference, and the placebo is strong. Throwing a set of winter tyres on Yaris won't make it a Hilux.

On ice, there is no difference. On snow, well if it's bad you'll want chains.

Sponsored Links
Back