Alpha, Valliant or Viesseman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a guy coming round to quote for replacing my existing Ideal Mexico Super CF40. He has given me a choice of these makes: Alpha, Valliant or Viesseman.

I want to stay with a regular boiler any my cylinder etc. Any recommendations of what boiler out of these makes to go for? Or are there some other makes worth looking at too? Worcester?

He also said it was pretty unlikely that the gas supply would need upgrading to 22mm from 15mm. I thought most new boilers needed a fat gas supply?

Sponsored Links
Combi's need a large supply but if you go for a system blr 15mm should do for a nice new VAILLANT

If you're boiler is more than about 1 or 2 M from gas meter then I would say you need to upgrade to 22mm gas. I always fit 22mm up to the 15mm tail that Vaillant supply.

Your installer should calculate it exactly though using the m3/hr gas that the boiler can use at maximum and any other appliances connected to this gas supply.

Any of these 3 makes are good, but I would prefer a Vaillant or Veissman over alpha.

Sorry Paul :oops:

:D :D :D :D

In all honesty I don't know about the other makes, but the Alpha customer service around here is second to none. Can't speak for your area.

The Alpha regular boilers have no faults that I know of, but it is important to allow the boiler to control the pump.

The best boiler any money can buy imho is the Buderus they do regular and system versions, as do Alpha.

I agree with Dave that at least some 22mm pipework would be needed.

Basically all the boilers you are talkjing about suck gas out of the pipe, and if there isn't sufficient available they will suck the flame out of a hob (potentially, worst case scenario) later on the gas goes back to the hob but it's no longer lit, you come into the kitchen turn on the light, and that is your last act.

Supply your boiler sufficient gas.

Sponsored Links
The Viessmann, Alpha and the Valliant have stainless steel heat exchangers which have narrow waterways and are made of thin steel, so are easily blocked and then can overheat and crack.
Have a careful look at the gurantees on stainless steel and you will find a whole lot of conditions. :(

Look for one with an aluminimum heat exchanger with copper waterways that are cast into the thick alu block . (Atmos Integras)
Alu on the combustion side and copper on the waterside is rugged and ultra reliable. Hope this helps. ;)

do not overlook the buderus, very good heat only open vent boiler, comes in three sizes 11Kw, 19Kw, 24Kw, would highly recommend these over most of the other makes ;)

Paul Barker said:
:D :D :D :D

In all honesty I don't know about the other makes, but the Alpha customer service around here is second to none. Can't speak for your area.

The best boiler any money can buy imho is the Buderus they do regular and system versions, as do Alpha.

I don't think Alpha have their own repairer around my area they use a local company as an agent and even I have been called in after them to put things right :rolleyes:

Are the Buderus really that good, it worries me that Worcester have bought them, and they will get dragged down to their level.

Anyone got any good reports on the new Broag

Are the Buderus really that good, it worries me that Worcester have bought them, and they will get dragged down to their level.

Worcester haven't bought Buderus. Both companies are owned by BBT Thermotechnology Ltd which is the heating & hot water division of the Bosch Group. Both companies operate independantly.

I heard that Buderus had been bought to eliminate competition for worcester, especially in the oil sector!

True or false :eek:

Shorky, which Buderus model is the open vent one?

The 600 model, megger wide waterways through the heat exchanger and whisper quiet. slightly higher and deeper than a vaillant but narrower, if youv'e got the space go for these. :)

Paul Barker wrote

you come into the kitchen turn on the light, and that is your last act.

Maybe ,maybe not.
If the kitchen is well ventilated their may not be enough gas to cause an explosion. Ive done it a few times with my gas cooker and no explosion.
Your also assuming the gas has fully penetrated the light switch and your also assuming the switch will arc every time it is switched on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back