Alpha, Valliant or Viesseman

gas4you said:
If you're boiler is more than about 1 or 2 M from gas meter then I would say you need to upgrade to 22mm gas. I always fit 22mm up to the 15mm tail that Vaillant supply.

I would say that most MIs insist on a 22mm supply from meter to boiler.

quote]Your installer should calculate it exactly though using the m3/hr gas that the boiler can use at maximum and any other appliances connected to this gas supply.

Or he can whack in a 22mmm supply (normally sufficient in regular gaffs) & gas rate it. The old measuring distances to appliances & working out sufficient m3/hr works great in college.Next time you get a gas fitter round ask him to whip out his tape.

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Are the Buderus really that good, it worries me that Worcester have bought them, and they will get dragged down to their level.

No wrong owner.

Recognising a niche in the up and coming UK steamer market Bosch tried to buy a good boiler make, but Buderus wasn't for sale so they bought Worester. later on when Buderus came up for sale, even though they owned Worcester they still saw the need for a reliable make with a 30 year proven track record in condensing tecnology, and made sure they didn't miss the boat, so tis time round they bought Buderus.

If you go down to Worcester wearing a Buderus coat you attract plenty of attention. No way do Worcester in a marketing strtergy sense want any part in Buderus. They are direct competitors owned by the same group, the UK factory wants to continue making boilers and not become a marketing organisationfor Dutch boilers, so they are keen to get it righ for themselves. maybe they have maybe they haven't. But their products are miles apart. Buderus is the product with proven history. Most other manufacturers are in very young r and d stages, we could find a whole load of pups on our hands in 10 years time, some sooner. we'll be busy if we can ride thepresent recession.

Balenza said:
Paul Barker wrote

you come into the kitchen turn on the light, and that is your last act.

Your also assuming the gas has fully penetrated the light switch and your also assuming the switch will arc every time it is switched on.

No I am not m8, read all that I said in the context I said it and ou will see

"(potentially, worst case scenario)"

Paul Barker said:
Balenza said:
Paul Barker wrote

Your also assuming the gas has fully penetrated the light switch and your also assuming the switch will arc every time it is switched on.

No I am not m8, read all that I said in the context I said it and ou will see

"(potentially, worst case scenario)"

Why is everything written in riddles on this forum. ?
Basically what your saying is that the kitchen is gassed up and someone walks in and turns on a light. BANG !.
I have to assume (unless you explain further) that you are referring to the light switch arcing /gas ignites /then explosion.
Your assuming their will be an explosion. I suggest you gas up your kitchen , walk in and flick the light switch and you will find out.
How would it be your last act if their was no explosion ?.

Sponsored Links
OK 100% gas will not ignite but why then are all the safety rules given stating that with a smell of gas 'do not operate ant electrical switches or machinery'.

I'm with you Paul. Thats why low pressure is classed the same as a gas escape when you call NG in.

Balenza, perhaps you should try it and give us all a rest :rolleyes:

Gas4you wrote

but why then are all the safety rules given stating that with a smell of gas 'do not operate ant electrical switches or machinery'.

Its called erring on the side of caution. ;)

As regards light switches there are many differant types of which some are designed not to spark where as the real cheap ones spark more often then not. The middle of the line switches are about 50/50 on whether they will or wont.

Paul Barker said:
:D :D :D :D

In all honesty I don't know about the other makes, but the Alpha customer service around here is second to none. Can't speak for your area.

The Alpha regular boilers have no faults that I know of, but it is important to allow the boiler to control the pump.

The best boiler any money can buy imho is the Buderus they do regular and system versions, as do Alpha.

I agree with Dave that at least some 22mm pipework would be needed.

Basically all the boilers you are talkjing about suck gas out of the pipe, and if there isn't sufficient available they will suck the flame out of a hob (potentially, worst case scenario) later on the gas goes back to the hob but it's no longer lit, you come into the kitchen turn on the light, and that is your last act.

Supply your boiler sufficient gas.

Paul couldn't have put it better :cool:

Buderus first, Alpha second.

Gas at least 22mm possibly 28mm up to the first appliance T.

As for the idiot that reckons aly heat exchangers are better. :rolleyes:

As for the idiot that reckons aly heat exchangers are better.
Nobody said that, to be fair.

A thought - if you need some silly part for your uncommon boiler, is it going to be a pain to get? Type Viessmann (tried several spellings) into Partscenter and it comes up blank.

ive not found buderus all that easy to get parts for either.

I agree with Chris

We would love to fit viessman but their after sales is stratchy at best, and if you find yourself with a "friday afternoon" boiler then you need them on the ball for a warrantee call.

I thought you needed to check their list of trained installers? There are only two within 20 miles of my small town. Must be tricky when one of them goes on hols. It seemed to me that they did not have much market penetration so there will not be many people experienced on them.

No Hampshire stockists that I could see.

Correct spelling is
http://www.viessmann.co.uk/index.php?content=installer-network

It is far too simplistic to say stainless steel is better than aluminium (or vice versa).

I think each material can work well PROVIDED the heat exchanger design is well conceived.

For instance there is a world of difference between the Viessman S.S coil and the Giannoni coil (and variants), have a look on gas-news for an internal look.

Similar with aluminium - the Buderus 500 finned coil is easy to access and clean - however the Worcester heat exchangers are horible top clean and clog easily (and show signs of significant corrosion after only a year).

personally i would not choose a boiler when people say the after service is good because this indicates that the boiler is prone to breaking down and the person has had to call manufacturers out on several occasions.

As for gas igniting from a light switch it is a fact most explosions in kitchens are caused by fridge /freezer motors kickin in

namsag said:
Persoallly i would not choose a boiler when people say the after service is good because this indicates that the boiler is prone to breaking down and the person has had to call manufacturers out on several occasions.

As for gas igniting from a light switch it is a fact most explosions in kitchens are caused by fridge motors kickin in

thats true nam, but rather know I have thier backing in the unlikely event of their boiler failing when I fire it up

also it IS going to break down at some point, be nice to know that getting hold of the parts in the future will be kwik

:)

if you know what I mean

(my best frank bruno)
:):)

Balenza said:
[Basically what your saying is that the kitchen is gassed up and someone walks in and turns on a light. BANG !.
I have to assume (unless you explain further) that you are referring to the light switch arcing /gas ignites /then explosion.
Your assuming their will be an explosion. I suggest you gas up your kitchen , walk in and flick the light switch and you will find out.
How would it be your last act if their was no explosion ?.

Well ever since Ivy Hodge put the kettle on and killed three people a few of us have taken these risks seriously. If you don't want to take account of the worst case scenario that's up to you, but we'll continue to consider the unexpected, in the interests of public safety. I don't think there is any riddle about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back