Additional boiler to outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Am getting new outbuilding (about 25M away from the main building) built. I would like to take gas and water to the outbuilding.

My question concerns is would our current meter/gas pressure could support additional boiler (hot water/heating) or we need to consider upgrading the gas supply/meter?

My current boiler is Valliant ecotec 630 and we also have gas oven/cooker.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get a GSR engineer in to do a few observations, measurements and calculations to see if your current supply & meter is adequately sized. Not something that could be advised without being on-site.

thanks, Madrab, will consider this, is there way to find out average household gas pressure can support in KW?

Several factors can determine this and some of these are determined locally by your transporter, what meter you have, supply pipe size/pressure etc. These can vary significantly from location to location. Without certain information it would be a wild guess, which will not be what you need.

I understand the need to get a basic picture but unfortunately there are too many variables to give even a ball park figure, hence the need for an on-site visit.

Sponsored Links
OK great, would getting SG1 servy done help to get the required variables/parameters?

Yup, that would give your GSR engineer a starting point with a new service.

That being said, a good GSR engineer should be able to calculate capacity and if current installation it suitable for what you wish to do from what is currently installed (referring to actions performed in my 1st post).

GT1 Survey requsted, results expected next week. BTW when the report comes what parameters i need to look out?
Cheers

I really do think that you would be better engaging a local RGI to assist you who can visit the site.

Ignoring the size of gas pipe to the outbuilding you will probably be able to have a smaller heat only boiler within your existing supply constraints.

Even if it is not suitable I would expect that ( at a cost ) you would be able to have a new supply and pay the standing charges.

But have you really though why you particularly want gas there?

What have you got against the cheaper option of using electricity?

Tony

A GT1 survey will only tell you what the main is capable of delivering.

You need RGI in to calculate what you have at the moment (meter, appliances & pipework) and then add in what you want (extra pipework and appliance) and then confirm whether your current meter/supply/pipework will be suitable or if and what you'll need to upgrade.

I really do think that you would be better engaging a local RGI to assist you who can visit the site.

Ignoring the size of gas pipe to the outbuilding you will probably be able to have a smaller heat only boiler within your existing supply constraints.

Even if it is not suitable I would expect that ( at a cost ) you would be able to have a new supply and pay the standing charges.

But have you really though why you particularly want gas there?

What have you got against the cheaper option of using electricity?

Tony

Thanks Tony

What size smaller heat only boiler?

Did not realise that it would be simpler and cost effective to have a new supply and pay the standing charges.

Gas there so we can have CH and ho shower Shower facility.

Nothing against leccy, dont think electricity cheaper option.

A GT1 survey will only tell you what the main is capable of delivering.

You need RGI in to calculate what you have at the moment (meter, appliances & pipework) and then add in what you want (extra pipework and appliance) and then confirm whether your current meter/supply/pipework will be suitable or if and what you'll need to upgrade.
I guess that was the intention at the outset, available vs requirement, we know the requirement, 24KW boiler, enough to serve additional CH/HW requirements.

You can have electric space heating and an electrically heater cylinder for water.

Why do you think you need a 24 kW gas boiler?

Why do you think you need a 24 kW gas boiler?
I didn't think i needed 24KW boiler, i was advised by the plumber/HE that i need 24KW boiler.
Is there a way to work out gas vs electric cost effectiveness?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back