Additional boiler to outbuilding

I didn't think i needed 24KW boiler, i was advised by the plumber/HE that i need 24KW boiler.
Is there a way to work out gas vs electric cost effectiveness?
your plumber has advised a 24KW combi boiler, you dont need anything like that for the heating side but you will need that for the HW side, but you just say that you want heating and hot water, tell us more about what you actually want, are you making it a granny flat? , what heating and HW do you need ? is it just a sink for hand washing ? is it a shower room or bathroom ? what area are you trying to heat ?

Sponsored Links
your plumber has advised a 24KW combi boiler, you dont need anything like that for the heating side but you will need that for the HW side, but you just say that you want heating and hot water, tell us more about what you actually want, are you making it a granny flat? , what heating and HW do you need ? is it just a sink for hand washing ? is it a shower room or bathroom ? what area are you trying to heat ?

Oh well, what can i say, i am guided by the expert.

I am not too concern about what i want, trying to understand what I need given my requirements. No its not a granny flat, it’s a multipurpose 7x7M outbuilding with a separate bathroom and a gym room.

If you had a combi boiler then you do need a 24 kW and your meter may not be able to support both that and your house gas needs.

But you could almost certainly have a 12 kW gas heat only boiler and a cylinder for hot water.

Or electric heating and an electrically heated cylinder.

The electric option will almost certainly be a lot cheaper to install.

Tony

so a man cave , yes just get a 24KW combi installed, forget about cylinders and stuff, and make sure you can get wifi in there for your laptop

Sponsored Links
so a man cave , yes just get a 24KW combi installed, forget about cylinders and stuff, and make sure you can get wifi in there for your laptop
I guess thats the best way to describe it, i would not mind putting 24KW combi, my question was would (generally) the gas supply is sufficinet to support 2 boilers and a gas cooker? (one system, other combi).

And as advised that needs to be determined on site.

But as I have already explained, if only you can give up your insistence on a combi, then almost certainly a small heat only boiler will be possible which can heat a cylinder of hot water.

As can electricity only too!

Tony

Plumber/GE recomending Vaillant ecofit pure 825 combi, he thinks its about £100 difference if I were to do with the Ideal Standard, any thoughts?
cheers

Did he not comment on the ability of the existing gas supply/meter to meet the demands?

Or is he only interested in selling you an expensive new combi when there are other options!

Did he not comment on the ability of the existing gas supply/meter to meet the demands?!
He possibly took into account and applied 'diversity factor'.
Is this something you are familiar with Tony?

Is a combi much more expensive to supply and install compared to a system boiler, UV cylinder and controls then?

I'm doing it all wrong :(

Did he not comment on the ability of the existing gas supply/meter to meet the demands?

Or is he only interested in selling you an expensive new combi when there are other options!

His comment was i looked at your mains gas pipe coming in and its 'fine' (trench dug up), i am still waiting to receive the GT1 survey report.
Would you care to share those 'other options'?
Thanks

you have had an engineer out who has given you his opinion after actually seeing the job, so anyone on here can not second guess his opinion, Agile is talking tosh as usual ignore his faffing about an unvented cylinder and system boiler, a combi is ideal for your setup

Sounds great, lets just focus on the combi option, what combi would be ideal considering sporadic usage, i would also like to consider an option to cotrol the heating/boiler wirelessly so the heating can be controlled from the main house.
thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back