GAS SUPPLY TO OUTBUILDING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a general query,

Currently gas meter feeds the new boiler in a main house. Can a gas supply be brought from this point i.e. connected from the copper supply after the meter in the house and run back underground to a separate outbuilding to serve a combi boiler? Could the plumber carry out this work or would you need to get the gas board involved.. it is AFTER the meter.

The underground run would be approx 30m. is this excessive? When it got to the building would it have to come up as an above ground entry with separate isolator?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
Gas pipe has to be sufficient to feed the boiler and for all the other appliances to have sufficient gas to them aswell because you will be taking alot away from the pipe already installed.

A CORGI registered plumber can do this, but remember ONLY a CORGI registered plumber can do this, it's not to be DIY'd.

All entry's and exits have to be above ground, unless it's into a cellar, whereas you need a special below ground sleeve.

Yes you will need a separate IV.

Gas pipe underground also needs to be of sufficient depth (regs apply), and made of suitable material......job for a corgi man i think. Plus, depending on boiler size the 30m run is long for sufficient gas supply, as well as sizing for existing run so this may entail upgrading all/some of the existing gas line......get an expert in

Sponsored Links
It is after the gas meter so you do not need a CORGI man, if you are competent. If the plumber is CORGI then fine. Gas company need not be involved.

The underground gas pipe has to be yellow plastic. No plastic above ground, only the stub poking up. BES, http://www.bes.co.uk sell it and all fittings. Best have the pipe rise up outside the outbuilding and then through the wall at low level. Have an isolation cock as soon as the pipe enters the building. The pipe has to be 700 mm deep the last time I looked and on a bed of sand.

Check the size of plastic pipe the longer the run the bigger the pipe bore.

Look at here for gas pipe sizing: http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/webcasts/domestic-gas-pipework-pipe-sizing/player.html

EliteHeat, Most of BigBurners post is flawed :rolleyes:

Yellow PE pipe where it exits the ground, has to be covered with a capping, usually fibreglass to keep the sun off, as the pipe will deteriorate in sunlight.

As for the rest of the post, No comment. :LOL:

Could you explain more doitall, BigBurners info seemed ok to me... most of it?

:confused:

EliteHeat, Most of BigBurners post is flawed :rolleyes:

Yellow PE pipe where it exits the ground, has to be covered with a capping, usually fibreglass to keep the sun off, as the pipe will deteriorate in sunlight.

I think BES show that complete with fittings to take the pipe through the wall.

As for the rest of the post, No comment.

Best keep it that way.

So when was the last time you looked big burner NO it doesn`t have to be 700mm and NO it doesn`t have to be yellow plastic.

BigBurner said:
It is after the gas meter so you do not need a CORGI man, if you are competent. If the plumber is CORGI then fine. Gas company need not be involved.

Some things you can DIY, but running a gas main across the garden, don't think so.

BigBurner said:
The underground gas pipe has to be yellow plastic.

No it doesn't.

Big Burner said:
No plastic above ground, only the stub poking up.

Any yellow PE pipe above ground must be protected from the suns rays.

BigBurner said:
Best have the pipe rise up outside the outbuilding and then through the wall at low level. Have an isolation cock as soon as the pipe enters the building.

As per the regs you mean.

BigBurner said:
The pipe has to be 700 mm deep the last time I looked and on a bed of sand.

Not in my lifetime, perhaps you get up to date on the regs.

BigBurner said:
Check the size of plastic pipe the longer the run the bigger the pipe bore.

Look at here for gas pipe sizing: http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/webcasts/domestic-gas-pipework-pipe-sizing/player.html[/QUOTE]

And while you're at it check the size of the meter and the service pipe, both could need upgrading.

The sooner a mod takes out this nonsense the better.

Clearly Jon26 is NOT competent to do serious gas work otherwise he would not have to be here asking these very basic gas questions.

Tony

Ok AGILE your compotent and corgi registered what is the answer its all in your ACS core

Its not my policy to give advice on gas matters to non registered people who might attempt gas work when they are not competent.

I would not expect that its the policy of this site either!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back