GAS SUPPLY TO OUTBUILDING

Jon,

Your RGI will be able to advice better on site.

Yes you could go through the wall into the ground, and come out of the ground on the outside of the outbuilding, provided the copper is large enough, which is unlikely.

30m of 32mm PE will give you 4.8 so will serve most combi's.

Yes you need local ISV's both ends.

The RGI would need to calculate the total load on the meter and arrange for it to be upsized, at the same time he would need to confirm with the supplier whether the service pipe is large enough.

Based on assumptions the copper pipe would need to be 35mm or larger.

It would be better if the new pipe could be taken back to the meter, but anything over 40m and you would be looking at 50mm pipe.

Whatever others may say on the subject, You need an RGI and possibly one with a commercial ticket for the outside work.

Sponsored Links
It may even be cheaper and less hassle to get a seperate mains supply and meter to the outbuilding .Depending on how close to the mains it is or possiblity of coming of your existing supply before your meter ,Transco will price this for you

It may even be cheaper and less hassle to get a seperate mains supply and meter to the outbuilding .Depending on how close to the mains it is or possiblity of coming of your existing supply before your meter ,Transco will price this for you

Shame on you :rolleyes:

All that digging ,Expensive 35mm copper or PE pipe and expensive fittings ,existing internals too small to come off of meter poss to small . Transco mole it and do all the hard bit put the meter right beside where the combi is going .I know what i would go for DIA ;)

Sponsored Links
No, You know what you would like to do :rolleyes:

Any property is only allowed one service entry.

No its not its perfectly acceptable .
Mate on transco priced up exactly the same scenario last week and it worked out far cheaper but that property was served by a medium pressure service

Whilst most Gas Registrants are infavour of a reduction in the number of ACS moduals there is a couple of new ones that could be usefully added.

Diplomacy for Gas/Plumbing Herberts is one of them. ;)

I am sure that a lot of blokes will find the pipe sizing link useful, if only to be able to convince the customer of the need for a pipe size increase when installing a large Combi.

If its alright with BigBurner I will flag the link up on the ARGI site.

Tim

The sooner a mod takes out this nonsense the better.

You don't know what you are taking about. You are a service man. Someone who changes thermisters and pumps.

Clearly Jon26 is NOT competent to do serious gas work otherwise he would not have to be here asking these very basic gas questions.

You do not know if he is a competent or not. You are incompetent on CH installations that is clear. I am not the only one who noticed and expressed that view.

No its not its perfectly acceptable .
Mate on transco priced up exactly the same scenario last week and it worked out far cheaper but that property was served by a medium pressure service

Any property, is only allowed one service entry.

If the out building is to become a separate rateable property then it can have it's own service pipe.

Wrong there are many industrial commercial premises that have 2 services.
And although it is unusual in domestic it is allowed but must have a meter fitted obviously to stop tampering if no meter on it after a set period it would be cut off in the street.
I have worked in several large domestic properties with 2 services and 2 meters
I have it straight from the horses mouth where is your information from what has rateable property got to do with the gas board

I have also been to large properties with two supplies/meters.

Most often thats a seperate supply to the swiming pool. Other times because its dictated by the gas consumption and there seems a bit of a large gap in the meter ratings between domestic and commercial.

I have only seen it once but a clever one used the house boiler with a "pool zone" as the boiler output is not required much for heating during the pool months!

Tony

Wrong there are many industrial commercial premises that have 2 services.
And although it is unusual in domestic it is allowed but must have a meter fitted obviously to stop tampering if no meter on it after a set period it would be cut off in the street.
I have worked in several large domestic properties with 2 services and 2 meters
I have it straight from the horses mouth where is your information from what has rateable property got to do with the gas board

I don't care what your horse says or how many times you have seen two service entries.

IT IS NOT ALLOWED

Perhaps you've seen a sub meter or several sub-meters, or even several meters in the same building, but the service entry will be common.

Fact, and if your mate says different then he is wrong.

DIA its simple i worked for the company i dealt with internal paperwork that allowed it.
I meet transco guys every morning in the cafe who i speak to regards rules and regs and its still allowed. Checked this morning.
You have never worked for the company you dont know the regs and what company policy is .
So its simple you are as wrong as bigburner was in his ideas. regards depth etc
WHY would a company not put 2 services in. Its only extra money for them.
I have been on jobs where 2 escapes where reported within the same morning on same premises . Where 2 seperate meters where tested causing a lot of confusion where one was sound and one was not

Oh have dealt with a lot more gas installations than you ever could have ,and know what a sub and secondary meter installation would look like.

IF your so right give me a link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back