am I being unreasonable thinking £1500 is too much for this work?

Even if the price is a bit high it is often better to pay that to people you trust rather than trust someone you don't just to save a couple of hundred quid

Sponsored Links
They are only placing and fixing these preformed trusses delivered on site, so their job is to lift these trusses in position as per plan, and erect the structure.
2 days is ample time. So who will do the roofing, yet another company i guess will be doing the roofing, and i hope it will be the roofing company responsible for valleys and lay under felt and battens and lay tiles. (just being curious, how much did you have to pay for the trusses?)

Really looking into it 2 days labour only work, lifting around 12 different trusses into position, fastening them together, only 5 of the trusses are largest, rest are minor sections. So the price does seem bit over the top for 2 days work when all they will be doing is lifting them up into position and fixing them together, may be you could negotiate a better price with them.

They are only placing and fixing these preformed trusses delivered on site, so their job is to lift these trusses in position as per plan, and erect the structure.
2 days is ample time.
Spoken as an experienced roofer....? How do you know two days is ample time?

There is a hip end to build and a lay-board valley. Have you any idea how long these take to build? Two days is not ample time and certainly not for just two men. They will need to be uber experienced and very quick and competent and very good with a saw. There is a couple of hours just carrying stuff up and setting out initially.
They will need to start with the girder truss and the first mono at 90 degrees to it so that the hip is positioned with the correct soffit overhang etc. They will then work back towards the valley filling in with the full sets and complete the bracing.

My guess is that one will build the hip whilst the other builds the valley. If only one of them is skilled then it's gonna either be rushed up or it will take longer than two days.

Sponsored Links
how long it takes has.been decided by the people quoting the job.. that is not in question here. from. what I am reading it wouldnt be plausible fit a joiner and his mate to complete it in 2 days.. so what I have is 2 skilled competent joiners doing a lot of work in a 2 day period. so with that in mind is a skilled competent joiner expensive booked out at 375 a day cash in Yorkshire or is that reasonable? 1 of them already did my vaulted sun room roof in less that a day with a mate. see pic... horizontals went after ridge beam set on padstone.

Attachments

• 14812923_536721283191327_2090457257_o.jpg
    14812923_536721283191327_2090457257_o.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Noseall and AJStoneservices, You thanked each other, is this how you attained a high credibility score by giving each other thanks, 2 days to lift around a dozen trusses into position and fix them in position, all fixings and materials supplied, 2 people doing the job with a possibility them getting one of their mates to help in lifting as well, and building the valley (Which has not been mentioned by OP previously, but now he has confirmed it will be supplied ready build and will just need nailing in) By the way i have 90 hard earned thanks score all earned in proper legitimate manner, not inflated by your own mates on here by giving each other useless scores.
Did OP give you thanks? Nope, so you end up scoring high by giving one another thanks for crappy comments . that shows the credibility of these forums.

Last edited:
Noseall and AJStoneservices, You thanked each other, is this how you attained a high credibility score by giving each other thanks, 2 days to lift around a dozen trusses into position and fix them in position, all fixings and materials supplied, 2 people doing the job with a possibility them getting one of their mates to help in lifting as well, and building the valley (Which has not been mentioned by OP) so how do you know who is building the valley? it may well be that the roofers may build that as well as hammering in new battens. By the way i have 90 thanks score all earned in proper legitimate manner, not inflated by your own mates on here, Gas men on here have the worst thanks count on here. The higher the thanks counts, the more dodgier the recipients are. That is a fact.
Grow up!

love it when the clueless know how long a job should take.
Sadly not everyone takes two days just to think what and how they are going to do a given job, skilled roofers can get on with it stright without wasting time,
I don't know why you felt the need to come here to offer hardly any advice but leave nasty comments, I guess you will be getting a few fake thanks score now! join the bandwagon!

Freddie your score ratio to number of your posts = 9.2
AJS =9.2
Noseall =15.4
mine =27.6 which proves I have more useful posts ( I genuine score for every 27.6 posts)

Last edited:
Spoken as an experienced roofer....? How do you know two days is ample time?

There is a hip end to build and a lay-board valley. Have you any idea how long these take to build? Two days is not ample time and certainly not for just two men. They will need to be uber experienced and very quick and competent and very good with a saw. There is a couple of hours just carrying stuff up and setting out initially.
They will need to start with the girder truss and the first mono at 90 degrees to it so that the hip is positioned with the correct soffit overhang etc. They will then work back towards the valley filling in with the full sets and complete the bracing.

My guess is that one will build the hip whilst the other builds the valley. If only one of them is skilled then it's gonna either be rushed up or it will take longer than two days.
May be then perhaps they should have quoted OP more time and like say 3 days and same amount.

However, a good skilled craftsman can achieve a lot in a day provided he has good quality tools ( or power tools) sharp saw blades, knows what to do without thinking for too long, confident in himself and his skills, so whats stopping him? and as for a day, it can be 12 hour long day as well, not just 8hrs.

Last edited:
Hang on, you're saying that mine, nosey's and ajs thanks are all just down to us thanking each other and yours are only down to genuine thanks for being helpful? I must say I'm flattered that you've read every post I've red that got me a Thanks.

Hang on, you're saying that mine, nosey's and ajs thanks are all just down to us thanking each other and yours are only down to genuine thanks for being helpful? I must say I'm flattered that you've read every post I've red that got me a Thanks.
Its Read not Red! yes,
oh look this is for you lot see how fast this man can do paving, he just gets on with it, also notice he is European and not a lazy high wage earner

Wow, I bow to the enormity of your presence on the forum - how would the forum ever function without you. :rolleyes:

I
how long it takes has.been decided by the people quoting the job.. that is not in question here. from. what I am reading it wouldnt be plausible fit a joiner and his mate to complete it in 2 days.. so what I have is 2 skilled competent joiners doing a lot of work in a 2 day period. so with that in mind is a skilled competent joiner expensive booked out at 375 a day cash in Yorkshire or is that reasonable? 1 of them already did my vaulted sun room roof in less that a day with a mate. see pic... horizontals went after ridge beam set on padstone.

I am no expert but shouldn't the the trusses around a velux be doubled up!

what I have is 2 skilled competent joiners doing a lot of work in a 2 day period. so with that in mind is a skilled competent joiner expensive booked out at 375 a day cash in Yorkshire or is that reasonable? .
If those boys complete the roof in two days then they have earned their crust irrespective of what anybody decides is a 'daily rate'. As said a day can be very long if you want it to be.
It would take me a wee bit longer but that's because I faff and fuss and add bits and build things solid. I don't like it when the roof battens run into a valley with nothing on the end to catch it. This does not effect the roof builder but it does effect the guy laying the tiles especially when he puts his weight on the batten and sends it through the felt.
I like to include window head timbers so as to make the window fitters trade simpler and make life easier for the guy fixing the plasterboard headers to the window reveals.

Ignore Mikefromlalaland he is totally clueless about roof work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back