am I being unreasonable thinking £1500 is too much for this work?

I

I am no expert but shouldn't the the trusses around a velux be doubled up!
Yes. These can be added after.
They do the same thing as myself when building a vaulted fella i.e. lay a couple of temporary joists across the plates to prevent premature spread.

Sponsored Links
Oh look Mikefromlalaland likes to include pointless videos of fast laying block pavers to bolster his argument. How silly.

Mike I thanked nosey because he knows what he's talking about when it comes to roof construction. I wouldn't thank you because you're clueless about it.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm.

Cash. no receipt
Rate for "Weekend"
Apparently no discussion over what happens of goes over a weekend
No actual agreement or contract
Might be 2 or 3 guys
Mike from London
Client already baulking at cost
English weather

♫There may be ♫trouble ahead.♫♪

If you trust them 100% then whats the issue?
You could be straight with the guys and say you think its a bit high.. Not F**k them about with THEIR money after the job is done. What a bunch of T***ers!
There is soffit and fascia to consider too..
The block paving... The ground work is prepared, There are actually three guys in the Video. Nothing special at all.

is a skilled competent joiner expensive booked out at 375 a day cash in Yorkshire or is that reasonable?
It's expensive. I occasionally employ an excellent joiner/carpenter, in Yorkshire, and his day rate is £125. Admittedly he's at the cheaper end, and keeps saying he ought to put it up.

Cheers
Richard

yikes! i go away for a few days...

ok job done. Joiner sourced who works for housebuilders.. had him ratified by a site manager at said housebuilder.

£500 for him. I laboured for him for both days. My bro in law did for 1 day.. paid him £100. so £600 (add a virtual £200 for me labouring) and it would have cost £800 but actually cost me £600.

he worked
sat 08:30 to 14:30
sun 08:30 to 140:00
mon 10:00 to 14:30

I worked sat and sun, my bro in law worked sun

Now - are you guys saying my velux need extra trusses?

Last edited:
like this? or something different?

Attachments

• double truss trouble.png
    double truss trouble.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 101
It just needs the rafter doubling up either side of the Velux.
I went away and had a read on the subject and all the hits are regarding when you cut through existing rafters.. this is not the case. My rafters are full length and made to fit the velux inside them. The velux weighs less than the roof tiles so why is the doubling up needed. I have the wood and dont think it will be a problem, just dont want to make work for myself unnecessarily. Also my rafters are 45x195 so not exactly little-uns.

I went away and had a read on the subject and all the hits are regarding when you cut through existing rafters.. this is not the case. My rafters are full length and made to fit the velux inside them. The velux weighs less than the roof tiles so why is the doubling up needed. I have the wood and dont think it will be a problem, just dont want to make work for myself unnecessarily. Also my rafters are 45x195 so not exactly little-uns.

Because based on your 400 centres, you roof strength has been cheated out of one rafter: the one that should be running right through the middle of the Velux that's now been trimmed.

doesnt it have a bearing that my joists are c24 and 50x195mm - at 600 centres c16 can span 4m! my span is about 2.4m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back