am I being unreasonable thinking £1500 is too much for this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fitting of 4.5x4.5 roof trusses for an extension including sofits and fascias. they can do it over a weekend, 2 of them... and its ahem cash.

labour only.

truss plan attached.

Sponsored Links
Two days is good going especially if they do the valley correctly i.e. with plywood support trays etc. I would expect it to take three days to do it to a good standard. Are they going to sheet up where they are cutting into the existing roof?

Two days is good going especially if they do the valley correctly i.e. with plywood support trays etc. I would expect it to take three days to do it to a good standard. Are they going to sheet up where they are cutting into the existing roof?
I'm not really sure about any of your roofing terminology I work in IT. I would expect them to do a good job as they have done in the past ultimately if they don't do it correctly the Building Inspector will pick it up and they will have to come back and fix it

Sponsored Links
Depends what you're paying for. To put the weight of the roof on the existing roof you might be doubling up (sistering) some of the existing rafters, then putting some lay boards down to spread the weight of the new trusses.

If you're paying them cash what makes you think they'd come back - are they already on site with you doing other jobs?

ultimately if they don't do it correctly the Building Inspector will pick it up and they will have to come back and fix it
It does not work like that.
They could do a top quality job and it could fail BC inspection.
Similarly they could do a pi$$ poor quality job and it could pass BC.

I always ask for my valley bits as loose fill and never use the proprietary valley sets as provided by the truss company. This is the bit that will require a wee bit of quality and it does take time to do all the valley infill correctly. We like to spend time on the eaves detail also, ensuring the soffit board and fascia etc are built robustly with correct fascia kick etc. We do things like trap down a 100mm x 50mm timber bearer over all the windows so that the window fixers have something to screw (upwards) into. This only applies where there is no masonry, i.e. only soffit board over the windows.

I also build everything to a minimum of 450mm centres meaning the customer gets more for his money but will not actually see much difference. Same with the valleys. Same with the eaves detail.

Quality is often what you don't see and is largely BC irrelevant. BC are not arbiters of quality, they will only comment upon or inspect what their remit allows.

Depends what you're paying for. To put the weight of the roof on the existing roof you might be doubling up (sistering) some of the existing rafters, then putting some lay boards down to spread the weight of the new trusses.

If you're paying them cash what makes you think they'd come back - are they already on site with you doing other jobs?

The new rafters are taking the weight.. the old ones aren't being altered. The new ones are "beam rafters" or did they say girder... They are a friend of my brother in law so would come back if there was an issue.

What if it takes longer? Are they going to return the following weekend or are you providing lighting?
I dont know anything about valleys etc.. I am sure from the sound of it you go above and beyond and that's fine but I just want a good job not an amazing job. Like you said most of its not seen and I wouldn't notice the difference. Provided its structurally sound and looks ok i'm happy. I didn't specify how long they have to do it.. they have "a day job" and said they could do it in a weekend. Hence my balking at £1500 for two days for 2 people... and now we are in winter there is only so much daylight.. its not like they can do 12 hour days or anything.

If he had said 3 days then I'd have a different attitude, but as its stands its £375 a day cash each... just seems a bit high. Also - does this require 2 skilled or 1 skilled and 1 "mate" this would further add to the question around how much I should be paying.

I have asked for some more quotes off people so ultimately I will see if it's a high quote.

Last edited:
Don't pay them upfront, tell them specifically that you will only pay them upon completion and when BC is happy with their work. If they refuse, even paying them half may be too much for them to start the job and lay a few trusses and never show up again.

But it depends on what other work they have carried out for you and how much you can trust them, or if you know where they are based, and can contact them if they don't answer their phones.

Don't pay them upfront, tell them specifically that you will only pay them upon completion and when BC is happy with their work. If they refuse, even paying them half may be too much for them to start the job and lay a few trusses and never show up again.

But it depends on what other work they have carried out for you and how much you can trust them, or if you know where they are based, and can contact them if they don't answer their phones.

The guys who quoted me £1500 - I can trust them 100%. I can find out where they live, they do a good job - if there was an issue they would come back. I would be happy to pay them upfront!

If I got someone else I wouldn't pay them until BC had passed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back