Amazon takes another step...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To market domination...

As of next January, Visa cards will no longer be accepted.

No doubt to drive down the charges of other cards as a warning, and then the other credit card companies will be next...

Of course there is a more limited cover with a debit card, but this tax dodging company doesn't give a damn anyway!

Sponsored Links
I remember buying from Amazon a lot 15-20 years ago, and always bought books from them (most of which I still have). The idea behind the site was great and although I still went to the bookshops, I was able to buy works I couldn't find on the High Street. That's what made them unique and a pleasure to shop with.

They still list really unique and interesting items, and when things do go wrong they are really behind the customer in supporting them. It's such a shame they have become so dominating and draconian.

Although we all know of the shops which have minimum payments because of high Visa fees, sadly this was probably inevitable. I truly believe we'll move to a universal crypto currency in the future where our every transaction is logged.

It's such a shame they have become so dominating and draconian.

Although we all know of the shops which have minimum payments because of high Visa fees, sadly this was probably inevitable. I truly believe we'll move to a universal crypto currency in the future where our every transaction is logged.
That universal crypto currency brings with it control...

Many a science fiction writer has predicted this for a long time, and given the technology advances the corporates will dominate the lives of everyone in the not too distant future (n)

To market domination...

As of next January, Visa cards will no longer be accepted.

No doubt to drive down the charges of other cards as a warning, and then the other credit card companies will be next...

Of course there is a more limited cover with a debit card, but this tax dodging company doesn't give a damn anyway!
Its quite a risky step on the part of amazon. Amazon's appeal is the fact that it's so easy to buy through them. If they make it harder by only allowing certain credit cards, a chunk of their customer base will stop buying because they'd have to go to the effort of getting another type of credit card and may move their business to ebay or some of the other convenient online delivery companies.

Sponsored Links
.....but this tax dodging company doesn't give a damn anyway!
How are you getting on with that Amazon fire stick of yours? Did you ever get a second one on the same account like you were asking about? You must have been pleased with that Amazon purchase to consider making another. :whistle:

IIRC, you have advised a couple of people on here to buy from Amazon so it seems strange that you buy from them, promote them and then complain about then. Do you have a screw loose?

Last edited:
How are you getting on with that Amazon fire stick of yours? Did you ever get a second one on the same account like you were asking about? You must have been pleased with that Amazon purchase to consider making another. :whistle:
It's perfectly understandable to have a moan about a company that you have used in the past, or to even continue using them in the present or future.

Why do so many user on here jump to unrelated assumptions based on someone's comment. It's bizarre.

Like I say, "I disagree with Brexit."
So someone responds with, "Ahaa, so you must be a tree-hugging leftie." or some such nonsense.

I don't wish to put a spoke in the wheel of truth but Amazon have quite clearly announced that they will no longer be accepting Visa CREDIT cards. Visa DEBIT cards will continue to be accepted.

One hand up anyone without a Visa DEBIT card, both hands up if you feel the need to use a CREDIT card to purchase off Amazon.

I don't wish to put a spoke in the wheel of truth but Amazon have quite clearly announced that they will no longer be accepting Visa CREDIT cards. Visa DEBIT cards will continue to be accepted.

One hand up anyone without a Visa DEBIT card, both hands up if you feel the need to use a CREDIT card to purchase off Amazon.
Ellal never could get its head around finance stuff. Credit and debit is just too much to get its tiny mind around but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good corporation put-down.

Ellal never could get its head around finance stuff. Credit and debit is just too much to get its tiny mind around but hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good corporation put-down.
How do you deduce all that from ellal's post?

IIRC, you have advised a couple of people on here to buy from Amazon so it seems strange that you buy from them, promote them and then complain about then. Do you have a screw loose?

You seem to have been triggered by mention of the fact that Amazon is a tax-Dodger.

Oh look it's the creepy stalker again...

Not that it's any of your business, but I just cancelled that account.

Now do us all a favour...

STFU and crawl back under that bridge of yours!

You seem to have been triggered by mention of the fact that Amazon is a tax-Dodger.
Plenty of other people doing the same...

Looks like MP's are also going to carry on getting away with it if borisconi gets his way apparently

Amazon openly state they see all markets open to them and will compete with everyone. But Prime and Alexa are convenient and the alternatives are pretty poor. I tend to only shop at amazon if I need the item next day and can't get it elsewhere. 9/10 they are more expensive. I prefer to reward good service.

Amazon is looking after its bottom line.

Higher card costs due to Brexit. It was mentioned on here card costs would rise and the Brexxers laughed - it leads to less choice.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...illion-in-annual-card-fees-to-retailers-bills

New rules after Brexit have increased credit and debit card costs by 150 million pounds ($200 million) a year, with both U.K. and European retailers losing out.

Britain’s departure from the European Union removed caps on transactions between the U.K. and the European Economic Area. That’s allowed card firms to increase cross-border payment fees, and some have more than quintupled, according to research by retail payments advisory firm CMS Payments Intelligence and the British Retail Consortium.

British retailers face extra costs of 36.5 million pounds to accept payments from the EEA. Their counterparts in Italy, Germany and the Netherlands have to shoulder an additional 53 million pounds between them. That could translate into higher price tags for their customers, adding to inflationary pressure. U.K. retailers already pay 1 billion pounds in fees to accept card payments, according to the BRC.

I remember buying from Amazon a lot 15-20 years ago, and always bought books from them (most of which I still have). The idea behind the site was great and although I still went to the bookshops, I was able to buy works I couldn't find on the High Street. That's what made them unique and a pleasure to shop with.

They still list really unique and interesting items, and when things do go wrong they are really behind the customer in supporting them. It's such a shame they have become so dominating and draconian.

Every card transaction is logged.

How will crypto free us?

Sponsored Links
Back