An atheist

Sponsored Links
Yes, Gravity is only something that exists if you live on eath or some planet other than earh.
Sorry I feel bad. I shouldn't be splitting hairs, especially as the thread was an athiest pun.

But, I'll bite:

Gravity exists everywhere, regardless of planets, or, people to experience it.
Energy/mass bend space, this causes gravity.
The black hole at the center of our galaxy causes the spiral arms (and our sun) to rotate around it, due to gravity.
The gravity of the sun causes the earth to orbit it.
The gravity of the moon causes the tides.
Its everywhere.

And it's something.

Nothing, as a concept, is very important. I think the Hindi maths introduced the concept to us. The concept of zero, or, nothing.

Without it, complex maths doesn't work and our general understanding of advanced anything.

And just to confuse Vinty more, energy (like light) also generates gravity. Despite it having no mass, if has energy-mass which is what generates gravity.

If you fire enough light into a single spot at the right time you can form a Kugelblitz and make a black hole from light.
So light generates energy/mass which creates gravity.
So therefor it is the energy /mass which creates gravity and not light.
No energy/mass means no gravity, as gravity can extend over vast distances, i suppose on balance you could argue that it is exists all across the universe.

Sponsored Links
A black hole isn't a planet but it still has mass which creates gravity.
That was the point i was making.
unconvincing

Do you still maintain there is no gravity in the gaps between planets?

So light generates energy/mass which creates gravity.
So therefor it is the energy /mass which creates gravity and not light.
No energy/mass means no gravity, as gravity can extend over vast distances, i suppose on balance you could argue that it is exists all across the universe.
It does exist everywhere. If you pick any place in the universe there will be some gravity there. It might be very weak but it's there.

Let's pretend you were in space next to the ISS. There is almost a full G of gravity pulling you down towards the earth. If you weren't traveling at 17,000 mph (like the ISS) then you'd fall to earth in around 5 minutes or so, give or take. Well, you wouldn't hit the floor as you'd burn up as you hit atmosphere at somewhere like 5-6000mph.

edit: I knew I should have checked what-if.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/58/

Last edited:
I have always wondered where the dark go's when u turn the. Light on :confused:

unconvincing

Do you still maintain there is no gravity in the gaps between planets?
Mass creates gravity that was the point I was making.
There could be lots of places in space which are gravity free.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2017_01_string_landscape.jpg

Graphical depiction of the string theory “Landscape” by University of Cambridge

We imagine our universe to be unique, but it is one of an immense number—perhaps an infinite number—of equally valid, equally independent, equally isolated universes. There will be life in some, and not in others. In this view the observable Universe is just a newly formed backwater of a much vaster, infinitely old, and wholly unobservable Cosmos. If something like this is right, even our residual pride, pallid as it must be, of living in the only universe is denied to us.

Carl Sagan

Last edited:
Mass creates gravity that was the point I was making.
There could be lots of places in space which are gravity free.
Which means you are indeed wrong. Gravity doesn't just stop, it gets weaker the further you are from any source. So If you pick any spot in the universe then it'll have some gravity there.

You might be able to argue the toss if you drag some of the more advanced theories of the universe into it but String theory etc. are beyond this thread and my knowledge of physics.

Could you have a spot in the universe that has exactly balanced gravity? Perhaps, but it'd be only true for an instant and I don't think you'd ever be able to detect it or prove it and it starts to rub up against the confusing bits of relativity.

Sponsored Links
Back