And again...

Back in the day I think henley were the only manufacturers. I don't think I've ever seen any other make on older installs.

Personally I try and avoid fitting them where ever possible.

Sponsored Links
Sorry boys, going back to the original post, taking it back to basics and having read all the posts in between with great interest as a DIY 'er only :confused: If I have the right end of the stick, the issue with the original photo was that after the meter tails had been split, they were connected to the Hager RCD unit. This presumably, via the SWA, was connected to a smaller CU in a garage say. Now I am beginning to understand the concept that the RCD only provides protection against an earth fault (shock protection?) and provides no protection against overcurrent.

I note that Taylortwocities said that the RCD should have been a double pole RCBO at the appropriate rating for the SWA.

Can I ask the following questions:

What is a double pole RCBO mounted in? (any link appreciated).

Is this the same as splitting the tails to a switchfuse unit?

Is a switchfuse unit effectively an isolator switch that provides the overprotection and then the CU that it connects to (in the garage or where ever) provides the RCD protection?

Hope this makes sense.

Kind Regards.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are correct.

The RCD only provides earth fault protection. If the circuit is overloaded, the RCD will not operate. (it's not meant to)

This would mean that a load of upto 100A (or more like 130A in real the real world) could be drawn through the small SWA before the suppliers fuse would eventually operate. This would cause the SWA to over heat and be destroyed. It may well set on fire too.

Also if there was a dead short between live and neutral the only protection would be from the suppliers fuse which again is not good.

A DP RCBO could have been fitted as a direct replacement for the RCD in the picture in the same enclosure.

044_1104_CR00_POLESTAR_RCBO_large._1.21.p1_.jpg

Yes it is the same as splitting to a switchfuse which is exactly what it says on the tin. A DP switch and a fuse.

The RCD if required would be fitted at the other end of the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back