Annual service and gas safety check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody tell me if an annual gas boiler service includes a gas safety check.

If I get my new boiler serviced annually by an accredited installer the manufacturer will honour a 5 year warranty.

I am entitled to a free gas safety check from my energy supplier but am wondering if getting the gas safety check done by them might affect the boiler warranty.

The boiler is less than 8 months old.

Sponsored Links
It may be just that!

But what you need is someone to complete the service box on the Benchmark Certificate as proof of the service.

Tony

Could anybody tell me if an annual gas boiler service includes a gas safety check.

yes

I am entitled to a free gas safety check from my energy supplier

hahaha-024.gif

Thanks for the quick response to my post!

kevplumb
I think I understand the second part of your post.

When I contacted npower to ask why I had not received acknowledgement of having submitted my meter readings I was told to stop sending in readings as I was only confusing the issue.

This despite the last electricity bill being based on an estimate :oops:

Maybe I shouldn't bother asking them for a gas safety check :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would say that if an Engineer Services your Boiler, he is resposible to ensure the safety of the Installation as he will have carried out "Work" as defined in the Gas Safety & Use Regulations, which requires all such persons to immediately after working on an appliance to ensure correct fluing, ventilation and gas rate ;)

Your "entitlement " to a safety check is in all likelihood just an excuse to get a salesman in the door to tell you that you need a new boiler, or a new gaspipe, or better controls, and most certainly their wonderful superduper all inclusive never to let you down insurance/breakdown cover.
A RGI has a legal obligation to make sure the boiler is in safe working order when he finishes working on it; that's all you need.

OP, I think you asked the wrong question. Had you asked; does a safety check include a service? The answer would have been no, it's very unlikely a safety check would satisfy an extended warrantee.

BG safety check

As long as the paperwork is ticked, it''ll pass.

op, why don't you get the installer to do the annual check?

I am sorry if I did not make my question clear :oops:

I intend having my Worcester Bosch Greenstar 27CDI boiler serviced annually by an accredited agent to take advantage of the 5 year warranty.

I just wasn't sure if this service included a gas safety check. Now that I do know this from the replies to my post I will not have to ask npower to do this for me.

I didn't want to call them in to do a safety check without finding out on here, in case it invalidated the guarantee, hence my first post :p

Thanks again to all who contributed. Much appreciated ;)

I would say that if an Engineer Services your Boiler, he is resposible to ensure the safety of the Installation as he will have carried out "Work" as defined in the Gas Safety & Use Regulations, which requires all such persons to immediately after working on an appliance to ensure correct fluing, ventilation and gas rate ;)
Hey boilerman I hope you're not saying we've got to smoke bomb the chimney when we service the wall mounted boiler. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

no but you do have a "duty of care"

last man on the job ;)

if the fire is showing signs of spillage you at least inform the custard and pref in writing

at a minimum :idea:

if the fire is showing signs of spillage you at least inform the custard and pref in writing

fck that kev, if you are going to do that you've got to disconnect.
which is why a lot of fellas won't even look at the fire on a boiler service. cans of worms and all that.

last man on the job carrys the can mate thats what i was always taught along with cya

anyway if the custard snuffs it

you can't sell them a powerflush and a co detector

neither of which they need / want

but thats about all this suppliers "check" is about ;)

No, what I meant kev was if you're going to leave paperwork saying you know it's ID, get the thing disconnected ffs. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back