Another 6mm or 10mm cable enquiry for electric shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having read numerous varying opininions on cable ratings for Electric Shower installation, could someone please advise best course of action for the following:-

MK Sentry 14 way CU with 45A mcb connecting 6mm T&E via a 4 meter run under floor above CU (no conduit, through joists) last metre of run being inside uninsulated stud wall to Isolator switch within cupboard, then 1 metre approx of 6mm T&E to shower fixture (now defunked Heatrae Sadia 7kw). I was initially going to install a replacement Triton 8.5Kw for ease of install, but having read many posts on here about published figures of heat output dependant on voltage factor used (230 or 240V) I decided to investigate further and visit Creda and Tritons websites to see what their minimum requirements were for each of their range of wattages. Both manufacturers stated that their 9.5Kw showers could be installed using 6mm or 10mm cable with runs up to 27 metres for the 6mm on a 40A B MCB (usual caveat for thermal insulation etc.). Interestingly Creda give the outputs of 9.5Kw / 8.7Kw 240V / 230V for their 9.5Kw shower.

Having just metered the incoming supply here, there is bang on 240V (used to be 244V) so using figures quoted is it safe to say the amperage isn't over the 40 mark and is safe to use the 6mm cable as already in situ for a 9.5Kw shower given that the cable run is so short, or is it still best to err on the side of caution and install an 8.5Kw? As an aside, the water is supplied via rising main and as such is reasonably good pressure. I live in the same street and have a 10Kw setup with no water pressure issues (installed on 10mm!!!!!).

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
6mm T+E = 47A clipped direct..

you have more than 400mm run in an insulated wall.. can you guarantee that the cable is in contact with the surface or the studs?
if you can't then that de-rates your cable by half..
so you can safely use it for 23.5A..

so no you can't put a 40A ( 9.5KW @240V ) shower on it.. you shouldn't really be using it for a 31.25A ( 7.5KW @240V ) shower on it..

Yes, to clarify, the wall is definitely uninsulated! The existing shower was fitted by an electrician so I'm hoping it was done properly.

Sponsored Links
damn dyslexia and long paragraphs..

yes then, if it's an un-insulated wall 6mm is good for 47A until any other things like grouping etc are taken into account..

Many thanx for your swift replys guys, and apologies for the long winded paragraphs! Just wanted to include all the relevant stuff so loads of extra questions need not be raised.

Out of interest, what are your opinions on these 3 as Shower manufacturers: Triton, Creda, Mira?

Was pleasantly impressed with Creda's Website. Had their current range listed along with install instructions for each to download. Only downside was their 1 year warranty.

In comparison, I found Tritons website awful, with a range on offer that largely doesn't correspond with the DIY retailers, or likes of Argos etc. Having said that they offer a 2 year warranty, but would have liked to see an install guide prior to purchase so I can buy the closest match to the current wiring and plumbing setup.

I would rate Mira above Triton, but Creda below both.

Manufacturers' web sites are irrelevant when assessing product quality.

Triton installation manuals are available on their web site.

Thanx for the reply Goldberg. Bought an Argos version of the Triton T80si (Zante III) in the end.

Whilst I agree with your point about not being able to judge quality from the merit of a Manufacturers website, in some respect it would sway my opinion as to who to give my cash to if their corporate Image is vague/shoddy or non existent. Pre sale advice/info is very much important if speccing a like for like bit of kit that will fit with minimum alteration, which is why I didn't go for the Mira 'Go' in the end as the services were all in on the left.

Both Mira and Creda had all their current range as found in all the retail outlets on their sites, most with pdf documents for installation. Triton on the other hand had very few items that are found on the high street generally, and had none of there 'made for' models listed.

It was only after 2 hours trawling on here that I found out the Zante is a rebranded T80si. When I ran 'Zante' through Tritons search engine it came back with nothing found. If I couldn't see an install guide prior to purchase I would have gone for the Creda as it was all laid out on their site.

If you look at Homebase or Argos's range of Triton showers and then go to Tritons website to look at the spec, most are not listed. Not good IMO.

I agree.

Triton appears to have decided to market its poorest (in terms of quality) shower units (and valves) through the DIY store channel. I wouldn't touch most of those units with yours.

And there openith another can of worms!!

I was reading a reply on another shower topic from a regular member on here and he was saying how the different brands were deliberately streaming their products to 3 consumer groups. These were the cheap as chips 'Paupers' as he termed them, the 'mid range' can afford some of the bells and whistles, and the 'Money No Object' types who buy regardless of cost.

He said of each of the 3 shower models aimed at these groups (was talking about the Wickes Triton rebadged brand as I recall) the main gubbings inside were generally common to all, with 3 different cosmetic finishes on the outside to suit each target group. He said he'd go for the 'pauper' range every time as there is less to go wrong (switches etc.)

With that in mind, the Zante I bought in Argos is internally very similar to the T80si which does feature on Tritons website as I stated above. Whilst I'm unsure of their overall reliability, there do seem to be a lot of them out there!

The Creda is good as its larger footprint is better for covering up traces of previous showers (as is in my case), and the internal parts are similar across several of their models (from the instruction mauals). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back