Another car parking one (bit different though..)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the (council owned/run) car-parks in town has become the 'temporary' home to a group of 'travellers'. They are steadily growing in number, but there were about 8 caravans and numerous cars and vans last time I passed. There's a rumour going around that, although the council aren't advertising the fact (because they still want people to pay to park there), their car parking fees in this car park are no longer enforaceble because the travellers are effectively parking cars and caravans in the car parking spaces and the council can't make them pay. And if they can't make them pay, then its illegal for them to charge anyone else to park there.

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this, or is just a case of small-town rumours?

Sponsored Links
Had to go to the hospital this morning for a blood test. Parked in the hospital car park. The first half hour is free (but what could you realistically acheive in a hospital within half hour?).

I was there about forty minutes and it cost me £3 to get out.

Anyone come across anywhere more expensive than that?

Had to go to the hospital this morning for a blood test. Parked in the hospital car park. The first half hour is free (but what could you realistically acheive in a hospital within half hour?).

I was there about forty minutes and it cost me £3 to get out.

Anyone come across anywhere more expensive than that?

Yeh there is an nice irony here I got injured at work a year ago and had to wait 8.5 in out patients and didn't have enough money on me to pay the parking fee.

Sponsored Links

At our local hospital the first half hour is free too. But I'm sure as soon as they see the car park ticket in yer hand, they do their utmost to delay you.
Parking near the hospital had become so bad that the council turned about 30 odd streets into resident only zones, and now charge the local residents £45 a year for the privilege of parking outside their own homes. (and the residents fell for it) ;) ;) ;)

PS the locals also complain vociferously about the Air Ambulance helicopter overflying their homes. :eek: :eek:

The free 30 mins is in case you can't find a space and need to move to another car park. Come on guys - brains in gear please. :rolleyes:

The more I think about it, the more taxes of diverse types there seem to be. There are literally dozens imposed by national government, local government and, of course, hospitals - 'car parking tax'!

I've just been wondering what the next thing they'll think of taxing will be. I was going to suggest window tax, but they tried that and it seemed to fall out of favour. Taxing the air we breathe would be very difficult to meter. Perhaps they'll just impose a flat rate based on our individual sizes.

You heard it here first.

I have to say I buy BI every week. I buy from a few different sites local to me, but they are all "staffed" by what look like genuine homeless (or ex-homeless) folk, not travellers.

I wholeheartedly support homeless charities. I can see there's a very fine line between having a job & losing it and your marriage/family /home and ending up on the streets.

If I get more free time in my life, I will spend time helping these guys out.

£1.3million. And you'd have to decorate and re-furnish the whole place.

To the op, no its a myth.

John Lewis can't eliminate shoplifters, so it becomes legal to go in and help yourself?

To the op, no its a myth.

John Lewis can't eliminate shoplifters, so it becomes legal to go in and help yourself?

Yeah, but John Lewis would stop you shoplifting if they knew you were doing it. And they'd punish you for doing so. They don't take the view that most people don't shoplift so we'll carry on taking their money and just let the few that do steal, get away with it.

The council are fully aware that this lot are parking/living there without paying, but do nothing to stop them, or to make them pay?

Another puzzle is that they claim they need to stay there because they have a disabled child who needs to go to a special school. Which I guess would make a little bit of sense, were it not for the fact that this 'special' school is over 20miles away. But I guess its nicer living down there next to the river, so the commute is worth it...

It was, thanks.

A bit off-topic, I know, but how's the cycle training going?

You after a bit of free parking? ;)

Its going ok thanks. Not really got a training plan in place as such, but i'm still cycling to work and back (11.5miles each way) twice a week and hoping to up that to three times a week soon. Try to get out at lunchtime once a week too. Cycled to my cousin's house a couple of weeks ago which was 27miles and that went well - took just over 2hours and felt ok afterwards!!

Last week I tried something a bit different - cycled part way home (8.5miles) and then ran the rest (5.5miles) - had enough of hills by the time I got home but otherwise that went well too!!

Biggest problem it seems is finding someone willing to cycle it with me. Got a good few showing an interest, but no firm commitment from anyone else yet. I will do it on my own if needs be, but i'd rather have at least one person with me for company.... I've found that cycling with someone helps with my pacing, as I tend to cycle too fast, and I think if I go too fast, I might not make it all the way!!

Sponsored Links
Back