Another socket in the loft topic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys don't shoot me down here just wondering if i can do this myself safely rather than pay x amount to an electrician plus i get some man points if i've done it well.

So im planning on having sockets in the loft 2x doubles to be exact. I will also be running cat6 cable at the same time so now is the best chance i have to get it done.

I lifted up the floorboards in the bedroom below to get access to the wiring and i found two 2.5mm wires running into a junction box then onto a socket from there daisy chained to a further 2 double sockets. First of all is that safe? Looking at the back of the sockets there is 6wires in the first socket 6 in the next on the chain and six in the last, it then goes back to the junction box.

Am i right in thinking this has been done as a ring main?

Next question is.

I have taken out the old electrical heaters in two rooms and pushed on terminals to the wiring and then disconnected it at the CU by pulling the RCD out.

I have checked and its not a timed circuit as is common for heaters, so i think i would be able to put a junction box on that and take the wiring up into the loft for use with my sockets.

Would that be the better way of doing it and safest all round? I would mark on the CU that i'd changed it also.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
It really sounds as if you have a right old can of worms on your hands. I, and probably the rest of the guys(and gals)on here would suggest getting an electrician in to sort it out.

Yeah if you keep the heater circuit at a 16a MCB then yes use that.
What will be plugged in, in the loft?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though you have a ring final for the sockets at bedroom level and this is normal and safe. Today we wouldn't use junction boxes, but it isn't a problem if all connections are well made (i.e. tight). You could take a spur off that, but your second idea seems better as then you can have a separate loft circuit so no messing about if you want to change/disconnect/etc one or the other.
When you say, 'pulled RCD' do you mean you disconnected the MCB? If so no problem, just reuse the 16A MCB. Is the whole protected by a RCD? If not, either fit one or use a RCBO.

Photos always help, but sounds like you would be better off getting someone in.

sorry yes i meant MCB that it was protected by - disconnected and plan to re-use that.

Well it looks as though a junction box was used due to the length of the two cables running back to the CU they are tight and covered so no issue. Also there is a fused circuit that leads to a power cord in the wall that powered an on wall tv.

Seems to me the previous owner knew what they were doing so i have no worries about the safety. I plan to take the feed from the old heaters and run that into the loft and split it to a bank of 4 double sockets. Is there any way i'd be best connecting them to each other?

What i mean by that is it just done with a smaller cable or is there something i can buy that splits them all together? Mad question probably but just asking.

Gone to 4 double sockets now !
You haven't told us what your plugging in still as that is relevant.
Will it be a bedroom?

2.5mm cable is normally used, same as heater cable.
Unless you have a route right back to the consumer unit.

It sounds like you might be on the right track providing your description/our interpretation of it is correct.
"pulling out the RCD" had me a little worried though.

There are various tests you should be making before you start though and again afterwards.

It might be better to employ an Electrician.

You might find one who is willing to let you do the donkey work under his(her) direct supervision thereby minimising costs.

Also, if you live in England or Wales and are creating a new circuit then it is notifiable under Part P of the Building Regs. If your chosen Electrician is Registered with a Part P scheme then this should also keep costs down too!

Probably easier, cheaper and more flexible to put in one socket and use a multi outlet extension which you can fix wherever you need the power.

It will be used for power tools!

No im kidding just a switch and router for now as well as a home server in the future once i source a cabinet. I will be running cat6 cable which i have done many times along with it. Havent had chance to measure the power draw yet but it won't be much.

The previous electricians work is shoddy as i found wires running alongside heating pipes which has burnt the pvc a little due to the heat and being compressed by the floorboards. I've since fixed this by pulling the cable as mentioned and running a new length back to the room connected and all is well. Im yet to take a look in the other rooms as i need to identify which cable runs to where first.

But i imagine if that was the state of one room then god knows what awaits me in the others.

I've also now pulled the old heater cable and run another two cables upto the loft and back down to the CU connected tested and working. I will post some pictures soon showing the work i've done.

could you also post a copy of your test results? Always interesting to see them!
You are aware that any buried newly installed cable, that is less than 50mm from surface without mechanical protection and any new sockets requires 30mA protection?

read further up
Read what? I cannot see the information I have asked for anywhere.
Test results and confirmation of a 30mA RCD on this circuit.
Your test result would also confirm the operational times of the RCD.

You stated you had done the testing, so would be nice to see them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back