Any Chance of Moving Back Box Sideways To Re-Align?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Messed up my calculations. Just started tiling the splash-back and realised one of the back boxes is not centered with the wall unit - and can be seen easily as being off with the lines of the tiles compared to the socket on the right:

jQtmCAT.jpg

VgHoOE5.jpg

As you can see white socket seems centered pretty good but black cooker socket is off by about 2cm.

Do I have any chance of moving it to the left by 2cm considering there are 3 cables coming in as well as it being inline with the cooker terminals down below.

If I move it to the left this means I have to cut the bottom right corner of the back box to make room for one of the cables.

Of course I also have to replace that tile I cut :mad:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Probably easier to move the other one to the left.

They may not then be centred on the unit but as long as they are symmetrical with the tiles, it will look alright.

If you break out the plaster on top of the box, get that cable out, id quess you could then lift the box up and out,

Sponsored Links
What ever you do it's going to be a mess. Your tiles are incorrectly set out, and you are going end up with a cut tile of about 30mm on the LHS. To set out tiles do the following, find centre of wall and mark it, then pencil in tile dimensions to avoid an inequal cut at each end of the wall. This means your tiles will be set out either edge to the centre point or middle of tile to the centre point. Then set out the positions of electrical accessories. You need to start again

Last edited:
What ever you do it's going to be a mess. Your tiles are incorrectly set out, and you are going end up with a cut tile of about 30mm on the LHS. To set out tiles do the following, find centre of wall and mark it, then pencil in tile dimensions to avoid an inequal cut at each end of the wall. This means your tiles will be set out either edge to the centre point or middle of tile to the centre point. Then set out the positions of electrical accessories. You need to start again

Not sure what you mean.

The LHS edge is where the tiles stop - that small section of wall you see won't be tiled - it will be boxed to cover the gas service pipes.

The incorrect measurements are related to the sockets not the tiles. The tiles are measured from the central appliance (hob) and branched outwards, and had the sockets been in the right place symmetry would be obtained.

Probably easier to move the other one to the left.

Yes easier but I have checked from all angles and it's the cooker socket that seems (and is) off.

My question was more with regards to regs, I mean look at this:

XwRMWls.jpg

That cable on bottom right, will be outside of the back box area if back box is moved right, so considering safe zones etc will this be against the regs?

How about dis-regarding the right-hand cable at the bottom of the cooker panel, disconnect and cut off completely.

And fit a junction box or dual cooker outlet on the left-hand cable wherever it ends up at the cooker position to re-connect the appliance served by the cut-off right-hand cable.

Stroke of luck you have two 'load' cables at the cooker panel, has possibly saved your bacon.

To be honest, once its second fixed and grouted will it look that bad if left where it is.
Obviously if its something thats gonna bother you, then sort it out out now before its too late.
Regarding the cable, you may loose a few more tiles but could you either move it or replace it into the safe zone

Messed up my calculations. Just started tiling the splash-back and realised one of the back boxes is not centered with the wall unit - and can be seen easily as being off with the lines of the tiles compared to the socket on the right
I'm surprised that you didn't notice that as soon as you'd got the first, or first & second row(s), on the wall.

I'm gobsmacked that you got as far as cutting a chunk out of a tile before thinking "hang on a minute...".

Anyway...

To be honest, once its second fixed and grouted will it look that bad if left where it is.
whssign.gif

Particularly with faceplates which match the tile finish so well, and with there being 2 accessories on the left and 1 on the right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back