Any ideas for jetting preservative onto a shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. In our back garden on a concrete base, I erected a garden shed (7 X 5ft). Unfortunately, lack of space forced me to butt the base up to a 6ft concrete party fence. This meant that (though the sides etc. of the shed were soused in preservative before being erected) only three surfaces (back, front and one side) have been re-treated over the years. The side near to the concrete fence has gone for many years without any more preservative being applied. There was no room for any guttering to be screwed onto the shed.

Now, I see that, when it rains, the edge of the roof naturally drips water down onto that side of the concrete base. This gets flooded, and there is a serious risk of the batten (at that side on which the shed-floor rests) going rotten.

This side of the shed cannot effectively be reached with any brush, long or short, and the batten certainly could not be reached, because it is set back a little from the wall of the shed.

I had the idea of using some kind of syringe to squirt, not a spray but a jet of preservative at the batten. If the jet were powerful enough, it probably would be enough to souse all along the batten (and, possibly, even the wall of the shed, if enough trouble were taken over the job) and thereby save the shed.

The problem is that I don't know which kind of implement to use for squirting the preservative (Ronseal). It would need to hold enough to make some impact when squirting (I mean, a kid's water-pistol would not hold nearly enough). I would prefer something that is hand operated, as I cannot afford to buy a power-tool (and anyway, this would probably be a spray-tool). Also, I am barely mobile, so I cannot go out and hire — then return — a tool. So, my thoughts turn to hand-operated tools (is there a garden tool that would serve this purpose)?

If some genius was able to suggest what to use, and where it may be obtained in the UK, I should be very grateful. If not, my shed is doomed!
With thanks in hopes of a useful reply,
A.W.

PS: If it were possible for any appliance to be able to suck up the liquid (by means of pull-knobs or something) before expelling it, that would be icing on the cake.

Sponsored Links
Hey, Andy, the sprayer does seem to be a good idea, even though it IS a sprayer, and not a jetter. However, I should like to ask you what makes you think that the Silka-wood preservative would not block the nozzle or the wand, when it dries up? Is it different in some way, from Ronseal? If you know, please tell me. About things like this, I am as green as grass, so I would appreciate your comments about this. Though I am asking for your comments, I am desperate enough to try the sprayer even if it would block when dried out. After using it, before it dried, I suppose that the wand could be flushed in white spirit, or something like that. If it could, it could be used again the next year.

Thanks for this brilliant idea, and I await any more information that you might give about Silka Wood.
Gratefully,
A.W.

After you have used the sprayer, empty out what not is used back into the original container then fill it up with water and flush it out.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Whatever you use in that sprayer will block the nozzle if you don't empty and clean it afterwards. I have one of those that I use to spray wood preserver on to my fence panels. You can adjust the nozzle to an extent to give you a sort of jet. I am assuming you want a jet to reach the inaccessable areas. I don't know whether it will jet that far though.

Is there any way of getting a length of guttering in the gap, AW, just to catch the drips and channel them away?
Sika is an excellent product and Andy’s sprayer just the job for this....unfortunately Sika doesn’t repel water so another finish is recommended afterwards.
(Hope you don’t mind the highjack, Andy!)
John :)

Bit late to be trying to preserve , roll of polythene attached to top of shed and allowed to drop down rear of shed will keep worst of rain off .

empty shed, get some help and move it forward - do the job and move it back - refill.

empty shed, get some help and move it forward - do the job and move it back - refill.

This , a 7 * 5 shed is not heavy once emptied and one person can slide it forward from corner to corner

I do this on my shed which I butted up against my wall every couple of years to retreat it

Bit late to be trying to preserve , roll of polythene attached to top of shed and allowed to drop down rear of shed will keep worst of rain off .
Yes, it has been left too late. However, I don't know how bad it may be, as it can't be seen or felt, except at the end. I shall consider the polythene idea. Thanks.
A.W.
This , a 7 * 5 shed is not heavy once emptied and one person can slide it forward from corner to corner. I do this on my shed which I butted up against my wall every couple of years to retreat it
Yes, but at 86, I'm not confident that I could do it.

Is there any way of getting a length of guttering in the gap, AW, just to catch the drips and channel them away?
Sika is an excellent product and Andy’s sprayer just the job for this....unfortunately Sika doesn’t repel water so another finish is recommended afterwards.
(Hope you don’t mind the highjack, Andy!)
John :)
No, there is no room for guttering, unfortunately.
Thanks again to all those that replied.
A.W.

Hey, Andy, the sprayer does seem to be a good idea, even though it IS a sprayer, and not a jetter. However, I should like to ask you what makes you think that the Silka-wood preservative would not block the nozzle or the wand, when it dries up?
A.W.

That's how I do all my bare wood, (shed, feather edge fence, bare wood pickets, fence panels etc) flushing through after with a full 5 l of water. I use Screwfix no nonsense clear perservative. (But I'll probably try the Silka, for an extra couple of quid.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back