Any tricks for unblocking beyond bends in 40mm waste pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen sink and appliances drain into a near-horizontal run of 40mm-ish waste pipe which then disappears into a wall. It's not (yet) entirely blocked but it drains very slowly, and it seems that the blockage is beyond the accessible bit.

A standard plunger hasn't helped. I've tried threading a mini hosepipe into it and it stops presumably at a bend not far inside the wall.

Options might include: a bigger plunger (I guess I'd need to seal all the appliance connections first); chemicals; some other sort of mini drain rod that will get around the bend; a bigger hose and higher-pressure water.

What would you experts try next?

Sponsored Links
+1
wet vac. Fill the sink up with hot water.put the vac on the pipe outside pull plug switch on vac.
works so far for me.
had any grouting done recently?

Sponsored Links
I don't think I have the other end, unfortunately,
(Where it goes is something of a mystery. I'm in a ground-floor flat and there are no fewer then 3 service voids with pipes from upstairs flats - but my kitchen waste just disappears into a different wall. Outside there are a couple of rodding eyes but I think they are more likely related to a rainwater pipe.)
Is there any point in wet-vacing from the inside?

Worth a go. Avoid chemicals, and if you've already used them, cover exposed skin, wear heavy duty rubber gloves and some decent eye protection, chemicals are nasty, and this is your last pair of eyes.

Thanks everyone. It seems my job for the weekend is to go around the neighbours until I find who has a wet&dry vac!

I love my aquavac for these sort of jobs! Best one was a peach stone out of a dishwasher drain hose - how it got in there is beyond me o_O

Don't use the blow function unless you are certain all the joints are solvent welded, just in case the joint blows apart :eek:
John :)

Some people use one of the metal spiral things, either hand turned or with a device which attached to a hand drill, or even has a drill built into it.

They seem fairly good for getting round 40 mm waste bends.

Tony

image.jpeg

£0 plus some duct tape.

The vacuum didn't actually extract much, but I think the preceding flushing with hot water has helped a lot and the sink now drains fine.

Now that is inventive!
For a horrible moment I thought you'd connected it directly! Anyway, whatever it was must have shifted a bit.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back