Anyone drive a weird car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone else on here has any car thats 'out of the ordinary' I use a ex london taxicab as my run around but also have a Mk1 transit and a Rover P5b in the 'fleet'.
Does anyone else have a odd taste in cars?.

Sponsored Links
Don't think I have anything truly bizarre but I do like to take a punt on a cheap car if it's unusual or old.

I do lot of impulse buying, cruise around for a while and sell it....usually for a loss :LOL:

My bucket list is huge.....will never make it through them all.

I used to run Citroen CX's, regarded by many as weird but streets ahead of any other car of the time in many respects, I then ran XM's which still had some Citroen quirkiness, I now run a Citroen C5, the only 'peculiarity' left now is the hydropnumatic suspension, which bucks the modern trend of a concrete hard ride.

Peter

Sponsored Links
41 year old land rover
35 year old triumph spitfire
37 year old reliant scimitar.

Not wierd as such, just old. My daily driver is a Nissan primera P12, that has a few oddities.

Not particularly weird but I've been given a Lotus Elise to play with for a year.....I haven't worked out how to get in it yet :eek:
It won't turn over either.
John :)

It has the Rover K series 1.8 Peter - much to my horror! Its had a brand new cylinder head recently though.
There must be an immobiliser issue somewhere I guess - the dash lights are bright but nothing else happens....and the owner is abroad for a while so I'll have to figure it out somehow.
John :)

Had a Bond Bug as a student. Also a Reliant Rebel, Citroen DS & CXs, and I currently smoke an Alfa 164 (but not as a daily drive).

and a Rover P5b in the 'fleet'.
Does anyone else have a odd taste in cars?.

Very nice, one of my favourite cars. I always wanted one, but when I bought an old Rover in 1988, I could only stretch to a P4 80. Unfortunately, this had the 4 cyl Land Rover engine, not the smoother, more powerful 6 cyl that most P4s had. Was OK on the motorway in o/d, but acceleration from standstill wasn't spectacular. Nice old bus though. Sold it about 4 years ago.

As for my current weird car, I have a '86 (D) Carlton. Whilst not particularly weird, it's not the more modern shape, but the old shape which is basically a facelifted Mk1.

It's mint, 2 previous owners, 70,000 miles with FSH and lots of history. This one is the 2.2 CDI auto, with all the toys. The best bit..............it only cost me £150 7 years ago. No one wanted it, being a large, old petrol engined car, no matter that it was immaculate and totally rust free. The owner just wanted the garage space (always lived in a garage) and I made the offer.

Before I had this one, I had the Mk1 Carlton, 1981 X. Same shape as the one I own now, but numerous small changes inc 'droop snoot' bonnet and chrome bumpers.

These early shape Carltons may not be 'weird', but you won't see another anywhere. Even the later Mk3s seem to have completely disappeared.

I had one of the six cylinder P4s (I think it was a 90) a long,long time ago. Remembered for a old fashioned whine as you drove off as much as anything else,also its umbrella handbrake on the right hand side.
I'd always wanted a P5 after owning a six cylinder version thirty years ago but that was scrapped due to extensive rot.
I bought the V8 version and have slowly rebuilt and improved it as a rolling resto. I dont use it that much but it keeps me out of mischief for much of the time.
roverramps.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back