Anyone Fitted A Surestop Tap?

Thanks Guys, and, er, Chantelle. Not sure which category you come under? ;)

Good to see that another DIYnot thread has descended into buffoonery. :LOL:

Think I'll sign the old dear up for a Surestop. The stoptap is in a nightmare place behind washing machine in kitchen and I don't see her on her hands and knees on the front lawn with her arm down the chamber fishing for the main tap.

So. No Surestop = she floods. Fit Surestop, it leaks = she floods. Bang it in, get the readies and I'm outta there!! :cool:

Sponsored Links
I have take them out but not on a daily basis. Never would put one in, as eventually they don't shut off and back to square one.

The relevant British Standard requires stopvalves of a certain pattern for the main internal stopcock. This is generally the traditional type; i doubt the surestop complies.

Surestop do various versions; compression, push-fit, shut-off valve and WRAS approved stop tap. The WRAS approved stop tap can be used as a primary stop tap.

I sold hundreds (well, a couple of hundred at least) of these for various social housing contracts.

Sponsored Links
Hi,I've fitted about 500 sure-stops in housing assc properties in last year. I got about a dozen call backs due to leaks from plastic rocker switch either remote/non remote or push-fit/compression.personally I would fit full bore lever instead but contract insist on surestop.
On properties were possible I keep secondary stopcock & fit s/stop after it then pain in the ar5e bonding.

The relevant British Standard requires stopvalves of a certain pattern for the main internal stopcock. This is generally the traditional type; i doubt the surestop complies.

I sold hundreds (well, a couple of hundred at least) of these for various social housing contracts.
Do you want to send one my way to test on video? No bullshit bias.

On video, no cutting or any nonsense like that.

Finally for all the goons: whole point of a Surestop switch is usually because the mains stoptap is inaccessible due to some numpty joiner fitting his kitchen units over it. Either way it is fitted usually because the mains stoptap is awkward to get at. It looks lovely and neat and sits nice and neat against wall tiles or whatever. When it fails, because it will, and you get a nice big burst pipe,run to your Surestop and switch it off.When it does nothing, you will still probably lose half of your scalp and best part of your upper arm trying desperately to grapple for the now seized stoptap.As for fitting a lever valve or Pegler after the mains, can`t see that looking very pretty on top of your worktop,and if you are gonna fit another big lumply ugly isolation device,why not fit another stoptap :rolleyes: ,pointless arguments posted by inexperienced Numptys. Rant over.

Have a look at http://arrowvalves.co.uk/water-regulations/ and have a read of tutorial 9. The water regs allow for a wider variety of valves now.
Yup, it seems BS 6700:2006, amended in 2009, was superseded in August 2012 with BS 8558:2011, now a guide not a specification

View media item 73364 .

That last little clause takes away a lot of the point of the table :rolleyes: . So we've gone from changing standards every 10 years to 3 :eek: such is the pace of Europe.

Finally for all the goons: whole point of a Surestop switch is usually because the mains stoptap is inaccessible due to some numpty joiner fitting his kitchen units over it. Either way it is fitted usually because the mains stoptap is awkward to get at. It looks lovely and neat and sits nice and neat against wall tiles or whatever. When it fails, because it will, and you get a nice big burst pipe,run to your Surestop and switch it off.When it does nothing, you will still probably lose half of your scalp and best part of your upper arm trying desperately to grapple for the now seized stoptap.As for fitting a lever valve or Pegler after the mains, can`t see that looking very pretty on top of your worktop,and if you are gonna fit another big lumply ugly isolation device,why not fit another stoptap :rolleyes: ,pointless arguments posted by inexperienced Numptys. Rant over.

If you had to fit a stoptap for an elderly person with arthritis what would you fit? Be constructive rather than having a rant.

I know for sure that my gran would never be able to turn off a stop tap like I have no matter how accessible it is. All her taps have levers because she has no grip and she sacrifices a pretty kitchen for a usable kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back