Anyone know what these are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

Got some strange problems with the lights in a couple of our classrooms. Sometimes the lights work and sometimes they don't, its totally random and no pattern. Nothings had ever tripped and i have been chasing estates over them for ages. I had a little spare time this morning and wanted to see if my theory was correct. In each room there are 6 light switches arranged in banks of two, each with a red rocker (push to make) switch along side them which cuts power to those switches. In both rooms its one of these rocker circuits thats faulty, i had a theory that there was some sort of relay in the ceiling that had gone faulty. So i popped a ceiling tile in one of the rooms this morning and found these...

These llookoriginal to the building (built approx 20 years ago) and they all appear to be interlinked together each controlling four of the six switches in each classroom. To me it looks like an early form of lighting control, maybe they would turn the lights off at a preset time or something, i don't know. The building has been modified so may times over the years whatever controlled these is long gone, the one on the right is the faulty unit in this room. The lights will stay on for about 5 minutes then the unit dies, usually for the rest of the day. Looking at the layout of the rooms know id say most have been linked out which is what i'm hoping can be done with the faulty ones.

But i just wondered if anyone had seen them before and if they had what do they actually do?

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links
Might help if we could read the printing on the right hand unit - any chance of a n IN FOCUS close up (use the macro setting on you camera).

Looks to be made by MK.

I would guess it is possibly linked to an occupency sensor.

Sponsored Links
No sensors anywhere i can see, all these units seem to be linked together by T&E connected into terminals marked up as BUS. So im still thinking there is or was a central control unit that would turn the lights off at a set time. This room is set with an ID number of 104 for both units so im guessing the other rooms are set 105+/-

I think you are probably correct - it appears to be some sort of automation product.
I'm guessing that when the switch is operated, that box sends a signal down to a master control box which then sends a signal back to close the mains (possibly in the black box) and operates the lights.
It could equally be that there isn't a master box and they all just talk to each other via their addresses, box 104 switches contactor 104 and the like, they all being linked together so one box somewhere else sends the signal 101 to 104 off.
The word "BUS" in electronics is usually something to do with a data link.
Might be worth your while phoning MK and asking.

I know its not very good but i havent got a macro function on my camera :( this is the best i can do for now sorry...

It's not bad - of course, you could just type in what is printed on it!

It looks like "Response Control" and "Extra Low Voltage Communications"?

I read it as..

[code:1]
RESPONSE
CONTROL SYSTEMS

Exta Low Voltage
Communication
Junction Box
220-240V 50Hz

List No 10224 MK

Made in England

MK Electric Limited

[/code:1]

Response it is. MK don't do the stuff anymore, but it's worth a call to technical.

ID numbers 1-16 and two banks 1/2, reminds me of X10 although I didnt think MK were involved in that sort of stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back