Apprenticeships

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thinking about the apparent shortage of tradesmen and it came to mind, does the City and Guilds still exist to control apprenticeships? I presume there is no 5 year apprenticeships that we had in the 50's and 60's etc.

Sponsored Links
I drink in a club called the Welders club, it is a club formed by welders who worked in H&W shipyard, since the Shipyard closed down there are not many shipyard welders around.
While H&W no longer build ships there is a ship repair section which still survives, they repair ships and oil rigs, recently they got a contract to repair an oil rig from Brazil but they couldn't find welders locally even though they were paying up to £30 per HR self employed ,years ago when the Yard had to much work they used to bring them in from Scotland and the North of England.
This time around they were bringing them in from Poland which is no problem but when you think about it you have local kids who traditionally would have gone to the Yard to learn a well paid trade are now working in McDonalds or B&Q for minimum wage while foriegners are flying in making a good wage and then going back home ,is that fair.

Just thinking about the apparent shortage of tradesmen and it came to mind, does the City and Guilds still exist to control apprenticeships? I presume there is no 5 year apprenticeships that we had in the 50's and 60's etc.

Far as i know city and guilds dont involve themselves in finding apprenticeships, it's up to the college goer to find a place for themselves, at least that was my own experience of it during 2005-2010. Most of the lads I knew then we're already in companies but had talked their employers into giving them day release to attend the college a few days a month. The objective was to get the bit of paper so that they could justify better pay at work, I'm not sure it always worked out like that for everyone. Often the employer would fund the college course, other times not. A lot of lads were just in college and not working at all.

In truth the trade colleges in this country are full of unecessary and irrelevant theory based modules, with too much lacking in the way of real life trade experience, too little hands on practical as well.

My advice to a young person seeking experience now would be to avoid city and guilds at all costs, as the cost of the course does not justify the poor value of education, and employers just don't value them as perhaps they may have done in your day. The best advice would be to get into a company at base level, even if it means pushing a broom around at the start, and start networking and try to build up skills that way. Within 12 months as as a labourer you're likely to have learnt more than 2 years on s city and guilds award in a specific trade, having made a bit of pocket money, had on the job experience , and saved thousands on not paying for a city and guilds award.

Sponsored Links
The problem we have is these fast track courses running for 3 weeks with a plastic certificate at the end.
And then you are a Plumber....

The problem we have is these fast track courses running for 3 weeks with a plastic certificate at the end.
And then you are a Plumber....

The problem is a lack of quality trade school education which creates a vaccum in the market which is in part filled by incredulous people looking to make a quick buck.

If your worried about your profession as a plumber being tarnished I ask what you've ever done to help prevent that from happening ? Likely nothing.

The problem is a lack of quality trade school education which creates a vaccum in the market which is in part filled by incredulous people looking to make a quick buck.

If your worried about your profession as a plumber being tarnished I ask what you've ever done to help prevent that from happening ? Likely nothing.

Whats nothing

I drink in a club called the Welders club, it is a club formed by welders who worked in H&W shipyard, since the Shipyard closed down there are not many shipyard welders around.
While H&W no longer build ships there is a ship repair section which still survives, they repair ships and oil rigs, recently they got a contract to repair an oil rig from Brazil but they couldn't find welders locally even though they were paying up to £30 per HR self employed ,years ago when the Yard had to much work they used to bring them in from Scotland and the North of England.
This time around they were bringing them in from Poland which is no problem but when you think about it you have local kids who traditionally would have gone to the Yard to learn a well paid trade are now working in McDonalds or B&Q for minimum wage while foriegners are flying in making a good wage and then going back home ,is that fair.

We can't blame the Polish or the kids. It the industry and more so the suits that are to blame.

They are more interested in giving themselves pay rises than investing back in the business and this country...
My point has always been government needs to regulate these company's an give them a set of rules they need to obey.

Whats nothing

nothing
  • pro.
    No thing; not anything: The box contained nothing. I've heard nothing about it.
  • pro.
    No part; no portion: Nothing remains of the old house but the cellar hole.
  • pro.
    One of no consequence, significance, or interest: The new nonsmoking policy is nothing to me.

We can't blame the Polish or the kids. It the industry and more so the suits that are to blame.

They are more interested in giving themselves pay rises than investing back in the business and this country...
My point has always been government needs to regulate these company's an give them a set of rules they need to obey.

Given your aptitude and attitude I very much doubt you would behave any differently if you were working as a 'suit'.

So how many apprentices have you taken on yourself ?

Very ironic, similair to working mens clubs,,,frequented by,mainly,anything but these days....My dad did wonders for their profits for donkies years!!

images.jpeg

Wallsend shipyard...Roman wall museum now!..Thousands of apprenti passed through there!!.Used to love going in the shipyards and repair stuff on the ships....Lifetime ago!!

There was a woman from Essex on the radio yesterday, moaning bitterly that 'immigrants had depressed wages. Her husband was a plasterer and reckons the wage he could earn almost halved because new build sites could get Polish plasterers for that much less money. I dont know if that is true.

I suppose new build or commercial developments are different from domestic. Around here I dont see a lack of work for tradesmen. Plasterers earn well and are always busy.

I hate to say it, but tradesmen that work on new build have a different attitude to domestic (my personal experience only -I have no wider knowledge).

Sponsored Links
Back