Approx age of brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find out of this brick is from the 50/60s.I don't think it is but wondered if anyone could have a guess? It's got round holes in middle with a smooth red face. The pic shows the back end it it.

I realise its such a rough guess but trying to discount something

Attachments

• IMAG0031.jpg
    IMAG0031.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
It's a guess based on the machine grooves, which tend to be a modern ish thing. But looking at your question again (I read 50's :(), it is potentially a 60's brick, which could be late 50's.

So wait for some other more certain comments.

It is imperial size isn't it? ie about 73mm high. The other two dimensions won't matter.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure LBC, and presumably others, were making bricks with the grooves intended to hold plaster better, in the late 1940's. I saw them documented with "Phorpress" which were popular in the 1930's. IIRC the grooves or channels were wider than your example, half and inch or so. Have also seen them in the London Underground on walls that have been tiled. The station I'm particularly thinking of was started pre-war and finished post-war.

Are there markings in the frog?

Last edited:
It's a guess based on the machine grooves, which tend to be a modern ish thing. But looking at your question again (I read 50's :(), it is potentially a 60's brick, which could be late 50's.

So wait for some other more certain comments.

It is imperial size isn't it? ie about 73mm high. The other two dimensions won't matter.

It's 21cm by 6.5 cm high.

I'm pretty sure LBC, and presumably others, were making bricks with the grooves intended to hold plaster better, in the late 1940's. I saw them documented with "Phorpress" which were popular in the 1930's. IIRC the grooves or channels were wider than your example, half and inch or so. Have also seen them in the London Underground on walls that have been tiled. The station I'm particularly thinking of was started pre-war and finished post-war.

Are there markings in the frog?

The groves are the back end of the brick. Smooth Faced. What do you mean markings in the frog? There are some numbers written on the back to

marks like

lbc.jpg

No nothing like I have put a photo of the top of the brick. It has those holes all the way along. And number written on side which I have taken another photo of

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 137
Metric bricks came in round 1974 (215x65x102.5). Before that from 1965 they were 8 5/8 x 2 5/8 x 4 1/8. Before that there were a few different sizes.
Yours looks like a metric common extruded brick.

the holes suggest it is a more modern extruded brick. Don't know when they came out. The grooves I think are to improve plaster or render retention. Why do you want to know? If you want to match it, try a local salvage yard.

edit
too slow

Oh no it's do with removal of a retaining patio wall and trying to work out when it was built with regards to the construction of the house. Large amounts of concrete behind part of this wall.

The patio is next to the house and wall is about 5 foot high. So house sits higher then garden.

Behind one end of the wall is what looks like steel reinforcing bars with lots of rocks, bricks behind it etc

Last edited:
One for @noseall perhaps

Cheers John. We are concerned if what we have come across has anything to do with the under pinning of an extension which took place in the early 1980s.most likely we are wrong but depending on what we un cover we feel it may be worth getting a structural engineer to look.

Would this be a wise move ? I can take some more photos as we uncover more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back