Are loft purlin binders necessery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,
Most likely in topic I have used wrong terminology to describe my issue but hopefully picture attached will do better.
I am trying to make more space in my loft and install some doors to cover clutter located in deeper corners of my loft and I wonder if those "binders" pointed in picture are necessary for loft integrity. They don't look solid at all and it could be helpful if I could removed them.
Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Attachments

• binders.jpg
    binders.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
Those are trusses and there should be a continuous timber there to brace them all together, not small pieces like you have there.

In any case you should not remove them.

Only an SE could clarify this for you but the "binders" probably stiffen the vertical struts and in turn the rafters.

Blup

Those are trusses and there should be a continuous timber there to brace them all together, not small pieces like you have there.

In any case you should not remove them.
It's the Scottish system of roofing, whereby the rafters are covered by sarking; horizontal timbers would not be necessary to brace the rafters.
Those bits of matchwood will probably be doing √0.

Sponsored Links
It's the Scottish system of roofing, whereby the rafters are covered by sarking; horizontal timbers would not be necessary to brace the rafters.
Those bits of matchwood will probably be doing √0.
So the sarking board, presumably bonded, controls racking like in a timber frame?

I've not really seen that mentioned in the truss guides. Admittedly I have not looked, but it certainly is not prominent if it's an option.

To prevent racking, diagonal lengths of timber, such as 3x1 or 4x1, are usually nailed internally onto the underside of the trusses.
These look like fairly substantial rafters; if they were intended to have some lateral bracing, surely they wouldn't just use discontinuous bits of wood like that?

To prevent racking, diagonal lengths of timber, such as 3x1 or 4x1, are usually nailed internally onto the underside of the trusses.
These look like fairly substantial rafters; if they were intended to have some lateral bracing, surely they wouldn't just use discontinuous bits of wood like that?

I will ask SE regardless before removing those binders but to be honest couple of nails on them can't do much for bracing whole structure. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back