Are roofers crazy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some blokes are fixing flashings and wotnot on my 2nd floor roof.

Guy is walking up and then climbing onto the roof whilst on a mobile, the ladder is resting against the gutter and wobbling about, and this is near the corner of the roof.

I'm not sure I would have the balls to go up the ladder onto the roof.

Sponsored Links
Suppose to maintain three points of contact. Two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot should be in contact with the ladder at all times.

Sponsored Links
In this weather you'd be lucky to catch me even looking at my ladder let alone climbing it.

My Dad still cleans the guttering on his 2 storey residence from the ladder. The ole crone he married is too miserable to pay someone even though she is a millionaire.
He's 83. Few years back he was fixing tin on the flat roof garage. The ladder slipped from under him and he was left hanging for a bit before he managed to haul himself up.

He was up there for half the day before the postman arrived and stood the ladder again. :LOL:

My Dad still cleans the guttering on his 2 storey residence from the ladder. The ole crone he married is too miserable to pay someone even though she is a millionaire.
He's 83. Few years back he was fixing tin on the flat roof garage. The ladder slipped from under him and he was left hanging for a bit before he managed to haul himself up.

He was up there for half the day before the postman arrived and stood the ladder again. :LOL:

Nowadays hed get a card through the letterbox saying

' You werent in when I called, so I've left your ladder at Number 56'

Roofers might be crazy, but they're not half as mad as scaffolders.
Some years back I watched one bloke boarding out the roof beams in a steelworks. Beams are heavy angle iron. They had a Youngmans board and a pile of poles across two beams at one end of the bay. Guy pushes a pole across onto the next beam, puts a clamp on the nearest end, and walks across that one with another on shoulder to get to the next beam. And so on. 35 feet up.

Probably explains why you don't see that many old scaffolders.
But , to the original question , yes roofers do seem a breed apart at least verging on crazy .

Suppose to maintain three points of contact. Two feet and one hand or two hands and one foot should be in contact with the ladder at all times.

Does talking on his mobile count as 1 of the 3 points of maintaining contact?

Sponsored Links
Back