Are Sky trying to defraud us? Telephone query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had no phone service from Sky for several days and they are now saying it is an earth fault and that it could cost us £99 call out plus £64 per hour as the fault could be with our phone not their service. I am a little concerned that this is a con because you cannot even get the number to ring when you try to call the house it goes straight to the Sky Voicemail, however the broadband which is on a splitter is fine! Any advice most welcome please help.

Sponsored Links
If the power light is lit on your SKY box then it is not an electrical problem.

You'd be better off asking on a specific SKY/TV/AV forum

Can you try your phone at a neighbours or/and borrow one to try on your system, that would tell you if your phone was faulty for a start.
Even check out the phone's extention lead, to make sure that is not faulty.
I think they are trying to pull your pants down!

Remove all your wiring from the master socket. If its an NTE5, remove the bottom half of the plate, and plug your working phone in there.

If the phone works fine, its your wiring thats faulty.

If the phone doesnt work in the test socket, and you have tried another phone, then you ring sky, tell them theres a fault on THEIR line, and its THEIR problem, and you are not opening your wallet. And you will expect a deduction from your line rental for every day you are without service.

Sponsored Links
Just a silly idea.

Do you have one of those broadband filters in your SKY phone connection? It won't work without one....

Just a silly idea.

Do you have one of those broadband filters in your SKY phone connection? It won't work without one....

This is not 100% true, without one your BB would be knocked out when you used the phone, and you don't need one on if the the only thing on it is the DSL modem, bar changing the socket type.

They are just a low pass filter on the phone side, it might be broken so the line is dead, as others have said try a known working phone in the master socket with all extension removed.

Sky have already had your pants down because you had to use an 0844 ripoff number to contact them.

If you were with BT you could call them for free on an 0800 number.

Sky have already had your pants down because you had to use an 0844 ripoff number to contact them.

If you were with BT you could call them for free on an 0800 number.

Use http://www.saynoto0870.com/ and search for an alternative 0800 number.
I was on the phone to sky for over an hour recently, each time they asked me to hold on I said ok as I was on a free call, eventually a supervisor cottoned on and got it sorted very quickly.
In hindsight it may be worth telling them from the outset that you are on their 0800 number for a faster call.

Word of warning before you call foul make sure it is not any of your gear, if it turns out to be your gear and they have sent someone out they are with in there rights to bill you for the work.

Just a quick question is your phone via your BB I know sky BB has some SIP stuff running in it (SIP is for voice over IP i.e. internet phone) I know as it took me ages to stop it running so I could get the VoIP working.

If it is VoIP then reboot your router (the SKY BB box) as this could have crashed.

Large companies such as Sky often break the law by deliberately trying to defraud people. You should phone the call centre and demand to speak to Rupert Murdoch immediately.

But seriously though, it could be something else on the line which is at fault in which case they are well within their rights to charge you for the callout.

As already said, try unplugging your broadband, microfilter and any other extra telephone equipment before throwing around wild accusations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back