Are these wires ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to add a plug onto these wires for my kitchen extractor, are these ok to go straight into the plug as they are? Just asking as the wires look like they go from the bottom into these cap looking things, do I have to remove them?
IMG_6925.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Yes they are perfectly normal and have just been crimped so easier to install.

Sponsored Links
Before plugs were fitted to appliance leads, these ferrules were fitted to many flexes. It was common to find instructions directing them to be cut off before fitting the plug.

It would say something like "These ferrules are fitted for testing purposes in the factory and should be removed before fitting the plug."

Ferrules make sure all the strands actually go into the terminal and also prevent strands from being crushed by the screw. In some countries they‘re required whenever stranded conductors are connected to screw terminals, unless the terminals are designed to protect the strands.

I’ve got one of those all in one wire cutters & strippers, there’s different size holes to strip the wire but what if I don’t know the size of the wire I have?

I’ve got one of those all in one wire cutters & strippers, there’s different size holes to strip the wire but what if I don’t know the size of the wire I have?

Take a guess - it's the size which leaves the copper undamaged. Start with too large, then work down.

Take a guess - it's the size which leaves the copper undamaged. Start with too large, then work down.
Ok I’ve bought the plug but isn’t there suppose to be a cable grip with screws at the bottom to hold the wire in place? How does this one work it just has a removable piece but no way of putting it back in once the cable is in place?
IMG_6970.jpegIMG_6971.jpeg

You put the piece on the plug like you have done and then squeeze the cable between the two parts.
1705766762947.png

as efli says and try pushing the cable towards the centre of the plug slightly as you push it down between the grip area

How does this one work it just has a removable piece but no way of putting it back in once the cable is in place?

Put it in place first, then press the flex into place. The idea is that it acts as a spring, gripping the cable - if you try to tug the cable out, the spring tightens even more.

Yep not easy to see because of the plug colour, some things of this type are OK and some are not as good.

May I just mention that it is recommended to wired a olug so that the Live conductors (both the L an the N) pull out before the E conductor by leaving the E longer, plugs are usually designed to facillitate this feature. So pre-crimped ends are often to the wrong length of flex to suit a particular plug.
So, whether you got a traditional cord grip or these fancy thingamajigs then in case of a pull out the L & N come out whilst the E is still connected for a while at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back