Armored cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if needed to connect 2 armored cables in the ground (grass) is there a certain
junction box required and also a minimum depth? :)

Sponsored Links
i`ve used the resin kit, rexel senate electrical wholesalers keep them.
it comes with a tropedo shaped box, connectors, tape and a resin pack which you mix and pour into box takes about 15mins from start to finish

Sponsored Links
lol yes two jubilee clips two piece of aluminium tube things piece of flat braided steel that squashes between the armoured braid and the jubilee clips and.......... a pairs of polythene gloves :D

If you do use these resin joints it is essential too: -
before fitting the shell roughen the PVC sheath where it will be just inside the shell to the point it is removed for the joint
and
degrease everything

This gives the resin the best chance of sticking and providing a good waterproof joint.
The shell is purely a mold!

Used re-enterable compound in Hong Kong never seen it sold here until this post never thought of looking for Magic Gel.

In later years used the epoxy resin filled joints. Before them used the epoxy resin lined shrink sleeve. Not old enough to have used lead wiped joints.

The problem is one keeping the tails short enough and two making sure it does not leak. I used self amalgamating tape over ends and tended to go overboard tapping up any likely leak points. Plus getting it level for the fill.

Don't think I have ever used a kit on a cable smaller than 10mm. Normally it would be cheaper to renew cable with small runs.

Although I have tapped off a cable this is rather rare. Since within 3 meters one normally needs some form of overload device. 433.2.2 etc makes it hard to justify jointing under ground.

522.8.10 Except where installed in a conduit or duct which provides equivalent protection against mechanical damage, a cable buried in the ground shall incorporate an earthed armour or metal sheath or both, suitable for use as a protective conductor. The location of buried cables shall be marked by cable covers or a suitable marking tape. Buried conduits and ducts shall be suitably identified. Buried cables, conduits and ducts shall be at a sufficient depth to avoid being damaged by any reasonably foreseeable disturbance of the ground.

For AGRICULTURAL AND HORTICULTURAL PREMISES it says under 705.522
(i) Cables shall be buried in the ground at a depth of at least 0.6 m with added mechanical protection
(ii) Cables in arable or cultivated ground shall be buried at a depth of at least 1 m
I would say the same applies to most back gardens.

There are three SWA cables in my garden I would not dream of jointing underground all joints are in shed or green house etc.

The minimum depth is 450mm and the cable should be surrounded by sifted soil or sand and marker tape should be laid at about 150mm above the cable.
Holmshaw, I have heard this before, where does it say that it must be at this depth?

if needed to connect 2 armored cables in the ground (grass) is there a certain
junction box required and also a minimum depth? :)

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/p.../Cable Connectors/Birkett cable joint kit B10

BS7671 Reg 522.8.10 ......suitable marking tape as per Holmshaw........buried cable shall be at sufficient depth to avoid be damaged by any reasonably foreseeable distiribance of the ground.

So in each case an assessment has to be made by the person fitting the cable.

The "National Joint Utilities Group", have a look here, you need Vol 1.

Relates to cables (and other services) buried in the highway and installed by utilities.
On private property

BS7671 Reg 522.8.10 ......suitable marking tape as per Holmshaw........buried cable shall be at sufficient depth to avoid be damaged by any reasonably foreseeable distiribance of the ground.

will apply.

Though the best practice in the NJUG documents is a good start.

It is worth bearing in mind that when crossing roads the cables will be deeper, also industry agreements with NFU and CLA dictate we lay cables on farm land at a minimum depth of 1m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back