Armored cable ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the way I have decided to interpret it. Unquestionably it is a better interpretation in the interests of safety.
I like the approach in the south of Ireland whereby almost all electrical work in the home is prohibited unless you are a Registered Electrical Contractor. I believe it should be absolutely all work carried out, however, and not just in the home.
That's a perfectly valid opinion - maybe you would be happier in Australia?

Whether it actually makes much difference to safety is a different issue, particularly if one looks at electrocutions. Even with our 'liberal' attitude to DIY electrical work, there are only a couple of dozen domestic electrocutions in the UK per year, and I feel sure that far from all of them will have anything to do with DIY electrical work. If it were pro-rata to population, one would expect only a couple of such domestic electrocutions in Eire even if they had the same 'liberal' attitude to DIY electrical work as in mainland UK - so I can't see that the approach in Eire can have reduced that figure very much!

However, to ask serious question, if that is your opinion, why on earth are you participating (and to more than a trivial extent) in a "DIY Electrics" forum?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
While were on the topic I'd prefer to require building control sign off before wiping your arse, or alternatively a qualified tradesman to do the job.
Then that would stop people blocking the pipes with those fragranced damp cloths that are technically flushable.
I'm sure they've already got that market sown up in some countries, just England is a bit Lax

There is also the fact that although a DIY forum, not all work is suitable for the normal meaning of DIY.
Indeed, but one issue/complication is that, as I think this forum demonstrates, "there are DIYers and DIYers", so it's difficult to generalise.
Outside power is one such case in my opinion.
For what it's worth, and although it would obviously work against my personal interests, my gut feeling is much the same. However, I wonder how valid a concern it actually is, since it's a bit similar to my gut feeling that to have 'electrical things' in Zone 1 of a bathroom 'feels iffy' - although, as you are always pointing out, we don't bat an eyelid at electric showers.

Kind Regards, John

But this is "Electrics Uk" so the practices in foreign countries must be expected to differ.
Bear in mind that Risteard has a solid track record of being unable to distinguish one sovereign nation from another, and to know which one he is in at any given time.

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that Risteard has a solid track record of being unable to distinguish one sovereign nation from another, and to know which one he is in at any given time.
I am acutely aware that I am in the 32-County Irish Republic and shall remain so for the next number of days.

He's in the UK. The flag on his profile is wrong. Hope he can find his way home, later.

Screenshot 2018-06-13 13.55.09.png

There is no such place as the "32-County Irish Republic"
I don't expect Irish History to be your strong point. Clearly you don't understand the history of the 1st and 2nd Dáil Éireann, or the Proclamation of Poblacht na hÉireann preceding these for that matter.

Nor do you realise that the USSR recognised the Sovereign Irish Republic proclaimed in arms at Easter 1916.

I don't expect Irish History to be your strong point. Clearly you don't understand the history of the 1st and 2nd Dáil Éireann, or the Proclamation of Poblacht na hÉireann preceding these for that matter.
Well if it's historical proclamations which you wish to rely on, rather than the current legal situation, then the whole of the island of Ireland used to be in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Why don't you pretend that that situation still applies? It at least has the legitimacy that it did once exist, unlike your imaginary state which never has.

Nor do you realise that the USSR recognised the Sovereign Irish Republic proclaimed in arms at Easter 1916.
Irrelevant.

There simply is no such thing as a sovereign Irish Republic encompassing the whole of the island of Ireland, there really isn't and your false claim that there is which you persistently make because you wish there was is ridiculous.

Geography isn't your strong point.
This from a man who thinks that if he pretends hard enough that a national border does not exist it suddenly won't.

Could you be more ridiculous?

So no - it is to the west rather than north as I stated.
Look at this, straight up is north:

upload_2018-6-13_14-36-56.png

The border is also to the north.

Could you be more ridiculous?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back