Armored cable ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's abhorrent is your attitude. I recognised that it wasn't done right & am seeking help to remedy it.
This is a DIY forum, which stands for 'Do It Yourself', you obviously have a problem with this & don't want to provide help / support to others & just throw your weight around & sidetrack the discussion. I would suggest you find another discussion / forum that may be more receptive / appreciative to your approach. Or just get a life.
Actually it is called DIY NOT.

Sponsored Links
Looking at these gland kits, what is the difference between 20 and 20S and internal / external (all the internal ones seem to be have the same IP rating as the external ones)
External glands are sealed against ingress and S denotes a smaller "lumen" (for want of a better word).

You cannot get past the fact that Apprentice-trained Electricians know not to combine the armour of an SWA cable into a block connector with copper conductors.
Do they not also know that copper and brass are so close that if the armour of a SWA cable should not be in contact with the former then it almost-equally should not be in contact with the latter?

The issue with dissimilar metals is a real one
Brass and galvanised steel are dissimilar metals. Is there a real issue with that?

Sponsored Links
None of which makes it right.

It's not exactly doing any harm is it? An additional RCD. I'm not going to put time and effort into removing an additional safety device.
Earlier in the thread I was being castigated for not measuring the distance and trip speed from the consumer unit, which is some distance away, the reason I didn't do this being that there is an additional RCD at the house exit point protecting the circuit
In the worst case, it causes a minor inconvenience once every 2-3 years when I cut through the strimmer lead and have to reset 2 rcds not one. It's not a biggie is it.

If it meant "Don't do DIY", that would defeat the object of this being a DIY advice site.

Exactly! As I said, I presume the intended meaning was quite the opposite of that!

Kind Regards, John
I prefer the way I have decided to interpret it. Unquestionably it is a better interpretation in the interests of safety.

There is also the fact that although a DIY forum, not all work is suitable for the normal meaning of DIY.

Outside power is one such case in my opinion.

There is also the fact that although a DIY forum, not all work is suitable for the normal meaning of DIY.

Outside power is one such case in my opinion.
I like the approach in the south of Ireland whereby almost all electrical work in the home is prohibited unless you are a Registered Electrical Contractor. I believe it should be absolutely all work carried out, however, and not just in the home.

But this is "Electrics Uk" so the practices in foreign countries must be expected to differ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back