Athletics 'Blade runner'

If I jump on the spot I might jump 18" or so. If I do the same jump on a trampoline I can jump about 4 feet.

Mechanical aids greatly enhance performance.

Sponsored Links
but an able bodied athete doesn't just rely on hamstrings and quads.. it's the whole unit.

if i had no legs, and fitted fifty foot poles, guarenteed i'd break the long jump, high jump and triple jump world records....

it's not like for like !

If I jump on the spot I might jump 18" or so. If I do the same jump on a trampoline I can jump about 4 feet.

Mechanical aids greatly enhance performance.

You won't jump 4 feet from a standing start - you'll have to build momentum and you'll still be putting more energy in than you get out. In the case of a bladed and able bodied runner both have to overcome inertia and build speed and momentum, both are subject to the same fatigue mechanisms and both use the upper leg to drive forward.

Tests have shown that there's no performance advantage - other than being able to compete in the first place that is.

but an able bodied athete doesn't just rely on hamstrings and quads.. it's the whole unit.

if i had no legs, and fitted fifty foot poles, guarenteed i'd break the long jump, high jump and triple jump world records....

it's not like for like !

The blades give the same level of advantage that possessing a pair of lower legs does. It's been tested thoroughly and if it hadn't and met the required standard of no net advantage then they wouldn't be allowed in competition.

Sponsored Links
Of course there's an advantage, he can't get a sore foot, or pull a hamstring.

If I do several jumps on the spot my height will start to diminish, however if I do several jumps on the trampoline my height will increase.

Mechanical aids greatly improve performance.

If I do several jumps on the spot my height will start to diminish, however if I do several jumps on the trampoline my height will increase.

Not in this case. That's what the extensive testing was all about ;)

You'll have to excuse my medical ignorance. The string which moves your foot and the strings that move your toes are the ones he can't pull, whatever they're called.

You'll have to excuse my medical ignorance. The string which moves your foot and the strings that move your toes are the ones he can't pull, whatever they're called.

oh beautiful... !!! :mrgreen: feel free to change you id to 'stoopidey'.. ;)

Not in this case. That's what the extensive testing was all about ;)

the guy hasn't got any lower legs... how can he run quicker that me?

You've spotted the only performance advantage given by the blades - they allow him to run as effectively as someone with legs.

If he had lower legs he'd still run a lot faster than you. He's a highly trained and superfit athlete.

Unless there's something you're not telling us Usain... :p

Sponsored Links
Back