Athletics 'Blade runner'

If I do several jumps on the spot my height will start to diminish, however if I do several jumps on the trampoline my height will increase.

Mechanical aids greatly improve performance.

Not in this case. That's what the extensive testing was all about ;)

the guy hasn't got any lower legs... how can he run quicker that me?

You've spotted the only performance advantage given by the blades - they allow him to run as effectively as someone with legs.

If he had lower legs he'd still run a lot faster than you. He's a highly trained and superfit athlete.

Unless there's something you're not telling us Usain... :p

he hasn't got lower legs, and he aint gonna grow any, so it is statistically more likely that i could train to run faster than Usain Bolt.

And you argument wanders into "if he had...." there are no measures or tests for 'if' in science...

Sponsored Links
there are no measures or tests for 'if' in science...

AHA so this is how you're going to change science is it? You've thought of a test for "if". :LOL: :LOL:

If I do several jumps on the spot my height will start to diminish, however if I do several jumps on the trampoline my height will increase.

Mechanical aids greatly improve performance.

Not in this case. That's what the extensive testing was all about ;)

the guy hasn't got any lower legs... how can he run quicker that me?

You've spotted the only performance advantage given by the blades - they allow him to run as effectively as someone with legs.

If he had lower legs he'd still run a lot faster than you. He's a highly trained and superfit athlete.

Unless there's something you're not telling us Usain... :p

he hasn't got lower legs, and he aint gonna grow any, so it is statistically more likely that i could train to run faster than Usain Bolt.

And you argument wanders into "if he had...." there are no measures or tests for 'if' in science...

Erm... You *do* know who Usain Bolt is don't you? Statistically, there's more chance of you walking on the moon than training to run faster than him :p

Erm... You *do* know who Usain Bolt is don't you? Statistically, there's more chance of you walking on the moon than training to run faster than him :p

yeah a slight chance... one in many billions... wheareas the chances of Pritorious growing his legs back and still competing at the top level? as Brucie would say.."higher or lower?"..

Sponsored Links

yeah a slight chance... one in many billions... wheareas the chances of Pritorious growing his legs back and still competing at the top level? as Brucie would say.."higher or lower?"..

The point is that the blades give him a chance of competing at international level with no net physical or mechanical advantage other than that of actually being able to compete. So what's wrong with that?

The point is that the blades give him a chance of competing at international level with no net physical or mechanical advantage other than that of actually being able to compete. So what's wrong with that?

firstly because it human against human...
and secondly you'll never prove that blade would be the same as his lower leg, were he to have one !!
and thirdly, you might as well advocate steroid usage..

firstly because it human against human...
and secondly you'll never prove that blade would be the same as his lower leg, were he to have one !!
and thirdly, you might as well advocate steroid usage..

He's still a human compteting against other humans at an equivalent level. It's been proved by experts that there's no advantage conferred by the use of the blades. Steroid usage is a completely different thing and cannot be compared in the same way.

yeah but me running versus Jenson button in a car is still Human v Human isn't it?

it goes against the spirit of the games.... focus on that if nothing else.

yeah but me running versus Jenson button in a car is still Human v Human isn't it?

Again not a fair or appropriate analogy.

I'd say it's precisely in the spirit of the games myself - someone overcoming physical adversity to compete at an international level.

I'd say it's precisely in the spirit of the games myself - someone overcoming physical adversity to compete at an international level.
what you're suggesting is almost am F1 situation, where the best technology wins.... you can almost picture garages honing their blades, springs, tensioners, hydraulics before the big race.....it's not right..athletics and sport needs to be simple and real....

what you're suggesting is almost am F1 situation, where the best technology wins.... you can almost picture garages honing their blades, springs, tensioners, hydraulics before the big race.....it's not right..athletics and sport needs to be simple and real....

Nope, again not an appropriate analogy.

Nope, again not an appropriate analogy.

you cannot be serious !! it has to be biological (non drug enhanced) human against similar..... not human with titanium leg !!

There are two issues here; to allow disabled people to compete in non disabled events, because of 'mechanical modifications', to their body..which to my mind has been proven to be a disadvantage to athletes that are not allowed to use any performance enhancements.

But also a snub, to the Paralympics, as presumably, he is allowed to enter both events, isn't that wrong? He's either disabled, or not. Enter one event or the other.

How disabled does one have to be to partake the main event? A broken arm, with a metal splint inserted? The need to wear glasses? A heart valve installed?

People have been fitted with a version of blades, who are able bodied, and it has been proven, that they increase your running speed. So for a disabled person to run in an event, against people that don't use these devices, does give an advantage.

As mentioned before, and there is no getting away from it, mechanical aids enhance performance.

It really is that simple! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back