1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Attaching an Awning to a 20cm insulated wall

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by seebk, 13 Jul 2020.

1. seebk

seebk

Thanks Received:
    Switzerland
    Dear all,
    First timer here, really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here and hopefully someone can help me too. I have basic DIY knowledge and have been experimenting/learning on my own house since 2016.

We live in an old house that has 20cm exterior polystyrene insulation all around it. We're doing up our terrace this summer and want to attach an awing to the wall but as you can guess, we can't attach anything to the insulation.

I'm thinking of going to a local blacksmith and getting 20.5cm spacers made out of stainless steel (5mm thick) that will act as a bridge between the brick wall and the awning's brackets. I'm thinking to design the spacer as a plus sign wedged between two flat plates. One flat side will be bolted to the wall using M10x110mm anchor bolts and the awning's brackets will be bolted to the other end of the spacer.

Do you think this will work, shall I go for thicker steel? Is there a better way of doing this?

Awning 1: 9m wide and 400kg and will have 6x brackets
    Awning 2: 4m wide and 100 kg and will have 2x brackets

Thank you all for your help!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Might an alternative way be to drill all the way through the wall, with a long drill (SDS) and use threaded rod through the wall, nuts and washers on the inside?

4. seebk

seebk

Thanks Received:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for that. I thought about it first but the issue is that the other side of the wall is the lounge, which means drilling 4 holes per bracket (6 brackets in total) will result in 24 nuts and washers in the lounge.

5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could they not be sunk below the plaster and plastered over?

6. Bodgedbuild

Bodgedbuild

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can't you drill deep enough into the brick to use threaded rods and resin? Resin fastening is extremely strong and you wouldn't have to go through the wall..

7. seebk

seebk

Thanks Received:
    Switzerland
    • Like Like x 1
  8. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    just a though??
    anything going from outside on a heat sink [metal bracket]
    to the interior with insufficient perhaps 6-12mm insulation may cause damp/cold spots on the inside
    i simply dont know but worth investigating ??

9. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have you got a pic of the awning fixing?

10. Sponsored Links
  11. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. Bodgedbuild

Bodgedbuild

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just remember the hole size needs to be something like 4mm bigger than the threaded rod used, just Google the size you are using to find the resin fixing hole size. The resin needs a resin gun too and if you want to re-use the resin, a new nozzle each required as they have to be thrown away once used. You can buy most of what you need from screwfix or Toolstation.

13. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As far as "going to a blacksmith" is concerned, just a decent chunk of (stainless?) pipe cut to length would do.

A rawlbolt of suitable size could be inserted and spaced by the tube. Afaik there is a range of stainless fixings as there was an outside climbing wall near me that used them. Problem was that the travelers used to nick them

14. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Clearly I'm missing something here, either you're going to hack out big chunks of this insulation/render to gain access to the bricks or attempt to squeeze resin into holes through 200mm deep insulation? I would stick to threaded bar through the wall, can you pull up a few floorboards upstairs and aim for the void? Otherwise it's only a bit of hoovering, filling and touching up.

15. seebk

seebk

Thanks Received:
    Switzerland
    Hi, the plan is to cut out render/insulation to reach the wall, properly thread the rods in with resin/epoxy. Use 2x stainless steel plates 10cm apart as guides to keep the rods true and straight. Properly backfill the hole I made in the insulation and cover it up. The wall is 20cm thick made out of hollow bricks. Given that the M10 rod will be 15cm in the brick and 23cm in the open, will 36 rods be able to hold 400kg? Attached pic is of the awning's bracket that's supposed to be attached to the wall, there's 6 of them and each one takes 6x M10 bolts to attach to the wall. Does this read like a sound strategy?

Attached Files:

16. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Now you tell us about the hollow bricks??

17. seebk

seebk

Thanks Received:
    Switzerland
    I found some photos from when we were renovating. Picture one shows where the awning will be attached to the wall. This pic is before the insulation was put on. Picture 2 shows the hollow bricks to give you an idea what kind of bricks have been used. Picture three also shows the bricks used in construction. Plus you can also see that if I were to drill straight through the wall then it'll be visible in the lounge.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      423.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      276.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG